Chapter Forty-Two

A/N: Sorry this one's a little late! Things have been getting crazy at school, so my updates might be a little all over the place, but I promise I haven't forgotten about this story 😊 also, since you guys seems to like Grant's perspective a few chapters ago, there's another part from his POV in bold 😄

****************

By the time we got to the church, it was already getting dark. It was abnormally quiet as we walked towards the alter. I hated to admit it, but I was actually getting pretty creeped out. I shifted a little closer to Grant.

"Still here," announced the professor, walking up to the alter. I stayed back with Grant, scanning the shadows and corners of the room. Call me paranoid, but I just got a bad feeling about the place.

Grant and the professor traded a few barbs, and then the professor lead us upstairs.

"It's quiet," May commented. Great minds think alike.

"Why do you think I trusted them with my secret?" asked the professor, "They take a vow of silence."

I looked over my shoulder, back down to the pews below. I didn't like this one bit, vow of silence or no.

"But, when you get them talking..." said a male voice, coming around a corner just ahead of the professor. The psychopath who had taken the first piece of the staff was here. My worst fears had been confirmed. "... they squeal."

He lunged forward and stabbed the professor in the heart.

"If you want to defeat a god, you must become one," he announced, a manic glint in his eye as he advanced towards us.

No one moved, the staff still sticking out of the professor's unconscious body, until Grant stepped forward.

"Grant," I lunged forward and put a hand on his arm to stop him, "You don't have to do this."

"Yes. I do."

He lunged forward and grabbed the staff, yanking it out of the professor's body. It started glowing red as Grant screamed in rage, then ran into Jakob the nut job and tackled him off the balcony. Off the freaking balcony!

"Grant!" I yelled, running to the railing. I wasn't sure if I should be relieved or worried to see him up, still rage screaming and apparently determined to kill Jakob with his bare hands.

I muttered a curse under my breath as I turned and headed for the stairs. I didn't know if there was a way for me to help, but I sure as hell wasn't going to sit and watch from a story up.

I got downstairs just in time for Grant to be thrown into a pillar. When he rose, he had an expression on his face like nothing I'd ever seen. He looked murderous. He'd said he was experiencing pure hate, but when I saw his face, I realized for the first time that he wasn't exaggerating.

He dropped the staff and sent Jakob flying into a wall, knocking him unconscious.

"Grant," I said, starting towards him. He needed to calm down now that the danger was over.

"Get back," he growled, looking angry and a little scared. I think he was worried he'd hurt me.

May and Skye joined me downstairs, but I didn't pay attention to them. I kept my eyes locked on Grant.

"I know you better than just about anybody. You will be okay, and I trust you," I said, never breaking eye contact. I stepped towards him, and he didn't recoil, which I took as a good sign.

Things were going great until a hoard of Jakob's wacko followers busted down the door and started coming for us.

"Get back," Grant ordered sharply. He stepped towards the oncoming mass and took each one down with scary efficiency, not giving any motion or action a second though. He worked his way through the aisle between pews until he got to the door, leaving a dozen corpses in his wake.