3

I'm just about to clinch the deal when we're interruted by an inconveniently times knock at the door. Jimin immediately looks up.

Jimin: Daniel? Come in.

Daniel: Pardon me.

Dressed in a well made suit, a gentleman walks into the room.

Daniel:  I just said goodbye to Mr. Kim... Is it true? Is the engagement off?

This Daniel person is one of Jimin's executives at PARK. He joined the company a few years ago. People say he's Jimin's right-hand man. Although I'm disheartened to have been interrupted at such critical moment, I immediately recognize the man. Daniel is subtly shaming Jimin for calling off the engagement. That's means Jimin made the decision on his own... The board of directors and Jimin probably have a difference of opnion when it comes to marriage. Hopefully, this infomation proves useful. I decide to sit back and see where this conversation goes.

Daniel: J-Cloud is one of the top ten cloud databanks in the world... Forming an alliance with them would mean we have the most powerful cloud in the world. That would make it possible for you to create even more revolutionary products.

Jimin: You're right. And it's important to remain revolationary. And as well-reasoned and optimistic as you and your way of thinking about these issues are... You don't understand anything, Daniel.

What's he talking about? Jimin actually seems to be smiling for once.

Daniel: You're dodging the issue, sir. Let's meet with the other party and talk this over again. PARK may be at the top now, but... A deal with J-Cloud would be the foundation for a new first step.

Jimin: ...Are you familiar with Article 24 of the Korean consitution?

Daniel: I'm sorry, what?

Jimin: It states that a marriage can only occur if both parties are willing and that both spouses have equal right. A marriage must be maintained through the continuous effort of both parties. To put in bluntly, a marriage is something to be entered into freely. And I have no intention of marrying a corporation.

Then, a sardonic smile spreads across Jimin's face. Daniel is about to start arguing with Jimin, but Jimin beats him to it.

Jimin: It's all over. There's no use in rehashing the past. I have my own ideas.

Daniel: But...

Jimin: Personal feelings aside, the appeal of joining with J-Cloud is fading. Also you don't seem to have noticed, but.. We're curerently in the presence of a guest.

Refusing to be spoken over, his voice booms, authoritative and absolute. Daniel doesn't even try to hide his suspicion as he glares at me. I flash him a warm smile, and Daniel, daunted, leaves the room.

Jimin: That was unnecessary.

Me: I'm terribly sorry, but I'm only human, so... When people give me hostile looks, I can't help but want to respond appropriately.

Jimin: ... Talk about fiesty.

Me: I am who I am.

My reply brings a faint smile to Jimin's lips. I see. I'm starting to understand how to read this guy. He didn't have any qualms about calling off the engagement, not only for business reasons... But also because he was personally opposed to the marriage as well.

Jimin: It's Areum, right? You mentioned you're able to consult on non-business related matters as well.

Every cell in my body involuntarily lights up. The effects of my last play are still in motion.. If I act now, I could press him for even more information.