15

Me: Hi, Boss. Let me get you caught up on what's been happening.

Sitting at my dresser, I open up a video communique. Once I see the boss nod on the screen, I continue.

Me: We haven't spoken since the new product development announcement party the other day, right?

Boss: What's happning since then?

Me: As luck would have it, Jeon Jungkook invited me out last night. Jimin and I went to his member-only restaurant, Masquerade, located on the grounds of Seoul Forest Stay.

Boss: Jungkook? You mean "that" Jeon Jungkook?

Me: Kim Taehyung was there as well. The three of them have been friends since college.

Boss: Sounds like one hell of an alliance. It must have been a pretty difficult night, even for you.

Me: Well, I hate to admit it, but Jungkook wiped the floor with me in Poker. And as a punishment for losing, he asked that I answer a few questions.

Boss: Oh? Questions, you say?

Me: Yes, about my name, my job, and...

Jungkook: What's the matter? Have you really not kissed? I thought you guys were supposed to be dating.

Boss: Y/N?

Me: ...Never mind. They were mostly simple, straighforward questions about my name and job.

I try to chase the other questions from my head. If I told the boss about those, I'd have explain that I kissed Jimin. I don't want him to find out about that. I respect the boss too much. That's the only reason I don't want to tell him, right? I can't seem to come up with an answer to my own question. Just then, the boss speaks up again.

Boss: I'd like to know why Mr. Jeon decided to challenge you to a game. Keep a careful watch on the situation for now. You don't want to stir up trouble for yourself.

Me: Yes, sir.

Boss: Moving on, I have something to report you. It's about something that happened at the PARK product announcement party. I'm sure you remember Lee Felix.

Me: Yes, the Felix Inc. CEO. It sounded like he and Jimin used to be friends..

Boss: I finished looking into the Han River Bridge incident you mentioned.

Me: Really? Did the phrase prove useful? Where you able to find out anything about Jimin's past?

Boss: Yes. It's clear Mr. Park is trying to hide his past. Any and all information relating to his childhood has been erased... Researching him was no easy feat. We're living in the information age. I never thought I'd have to resort to analog methods like knocking on doors.

Wearing an uncharacteristically wry smile, the boss type something into his conputer. An instant later, a number of photos appear on my screen. These photos.. They're images of a very average Korean neighborhood. Althought the majority of the photos are of thr neighborhood, there's also a single photo of a small, backstreet factory.

Boss: I got these from an elderly man living in the Han River Area. The photos are from more than 20 years ago. And this particular old man provided me with some very useful information. He knew about certain event that occurred in Mr. Park's past.

Stunned, my breath catches in my throat. The boss nods at me before showing me another picture. It's a snapshot of a moment in time. A little boy running up to a man in workman's clothes standing in front of a small factory. I don't even have to ask who that is. He looks just like the man from the album I saw. The kid is Jimin, and the man in a jumpsuit is his father. That means this factory must be theirs.