Chapter 18

I had decided to breed Buttercup a couple months ago, she's due in just a couple months! She was bred by an Appaloosa! I've been bugging Liam about how excited I am. Because I can't ride Buttercup I've been riding Lightning more, we've been practicing jumping, reining and barrel racing..and a little mounted shooting.. he's amazing at all. I've gotten a lot better with my balance and I plan on taking him to a jumping show next month.

"Alright who's hungry?" I say while walking into the barn to prep morning feed for the horses. Once they're prepared I dumped it in their feed bins. Then I groom and turn out Buttercup, i clean her stall. Then I bring Lightning out and groom him, I grab his saddle and saddle pad and tack him up for a little practice. The show is so close and we aren't ready just yet. We go to the arena and practice our jumping, he's been shying away from the red coop jump so I am working on that mainly today. I get him warmed up, we work flat then move up to small jumps. I canter up to the red coop and just softly nudge him into it, he refused. Within a couple minutes I finally got him to go over it, we continued to practice and he finally wasn't shying away.  We practice on our jumping patterns and he finally has it all down, every day we restart to make sure me and him both have this down. Once I've finished riding I untack him and give him a nice bath. It didn't take long for him to become filthy once I turned him out.

***Weeks later, Show day 1 day away***

Me and Lightning are both ready, I load all my tack in the horse trailer and make sure I have everything ready for the show tomorrow. I load Lightning into the trailer and drive to the show grounds. It's 4 hours away so I had one of my friends take care of Buttercup while I'm gone since my parents have no clue about horses. Every hour I got Lightning out to stretch his legs so he didn't become stiff. When we finally made it it was night time and we both needed our rest, I put him in his stall that is FILLED with fluffy shavings. He immediately laid down and slept like he was exhausted, I went to my trailer and slept inside.
Morning came and it is about 6 in the morning, show starts at 12 and I've got to get Lightning ready, I rush to his stall and he's there waiting for me, I get out all my grooming gear and start putting up his long mane, I braid his tail so it's nice and up out of the way. Next I pick his feed and make sure there is no dirt or rocks in them. I curry his body down then brush him with his hard,medium, and soft brush to make sure he's nice and clean. I put his forelock up as well and bush off his face and clean his mouth and nose. It's 10 now and it's now in 2 hours. I tack Lightning up and take him to the show ring, I warm him up and memorize the jumps to make sure I have the right pattern. We wait patiently for the show to start and when it did we were 5th to go, the people that went ahead of us were truly amazing, a few people knocked down poles which takes off some of their points unfortunately. When it was my turn I bowed in front of the judges and then get him into a canter and head for our first jump, 1 2 3 and over the first jump and we cleared it, second jump is one Lightning jumps all the time.. 1..2..3 up and over we go clearing it again. Lead change then we head for his least favorite the red coop.. 1..2 I felt him try to shy and I nudge him and we fly over the jump, and we clear it. I pat him on the neck telling him he did well, but we still have 4 more jumps left. Thankfully we cleared all of the jumps, I pat him and praise him lots. I see Liam in the stands clapping like crazy, I walk out of the arena and dismount and there he is waiting for me. I run and hug him tightly, " You and Lightning did so well.. you might just win" he smiles.

I go and watch the rest of the show with Liam and Lightning, all the riders did very well!
Finally they're going to announce the winner!
"In first place is Rebekah and Coco, Second place Adaline  and Lightning, and last but not least, Max and Snickers! Winners to the arena please!" The announcer says.

I mount Lightning and trot in with the other riders, I was so happy that me and Lightning actually placed! This was our first jumping show and he did amazing, he never seems to disappoint me! The lady hands me out medal and puts a red ribbon on Lightnings bridle. I pat his neck and hug him tight telling him he did a wonderful job. I walk him out and dismount, I take off his tack and rinse him off. Tomorrow morning we're leaving to go home..I can't wait I miss Buttercup!

Morning comes and Lighting is ready to go home, I load him up and Liam and I hop in the car and we drive home

Morning comes and Lighting is ready to go home, I load him up and Liam and I hop in the car and we drive home. We stop almost every hour to stretch Lightnings legs. Once we got there I am loaded him and put him in a stall buttercup nickered  once she saw the trailer.  I hug her tightly once lightning and buttercup are all settled I head inside and go to bed,it was 10 o'clock at night once we got home, Liam went home he said he'll be back tomorrow with his horse to go trail riding together.

*******************************************
Okay.. maybe it's not as long as I thought I'd be able to make it but it's an update! 😂.
Unfortunately due to drama at the place I'm at I'm moving Lightning.. the place just isn't trustable.. and I'm so tired of it!
Wish me luck with transport!!

If You see any mistakes please Privately message me! XOXOXO