35- Smiling Through Tears (/)(+)

Hi all! Finally have a chapter up! :) 

Please read and vote! Love you!

Chapter Thirty Five: Smiling Through Tears

~Thea's POV~

I wake up as the sunlight filters through the eastern window. Blinking, I sit up groggily, then moan, clutching my head. It hurts.

I practically slide off the bed and then stand, looking around. My vision immediately focuses on the iPhone sitting on the nightstand, reminding me of the near catastrophe from last night...

~

"So," says Jack, leaning back. "What's the plan for tomorrow?"

"What do you mean the plan?" I ask, feeling a little drowsy. My brain is almost at the point where I cannot process information, I'm so tired.

"Are we just going to confront them about Max and Kyle?" Jack asks. "Or just lie low and pretend we're idiots?"

"I'm more worried about Loki chaining me up, if you ask me," I say.

"Why? I can pick any lock." he points out.

"Oh please. You know that if they chain me up, they'll do the same to you."

"I don't know if they're that smart."

"I wouldn't put it past them."

Jack snorts. "Well then you can go in crazy mode and bust them open like Godzilla."

I give him a look.

"Point being, we'd be fine. So what are we going to do about Max and Kyle?"

"I'm thinking about giving Tony a piece of my mind."

Jack frowns, "But that means that they'll figure out that we were spying on them."

"The phone. The gun. The 'red' blood. C'mon, Jack, we've got ten million things on them."

He considers this. "Well, I suppose so. But Tony's not even coming with us and we're leaving tomorrow, probably first thing."

"If I get the chance." I say, "I might knock him out."

He gives me a shrewd look, then sighs, smiling a little. "That's why I like you. You're a stubborn and often stupid dolt."

"WOW Jack, THANK Y-"

Knock knock knock.

Jack and I leap up and exchange panicked looks.

"Thea! It's Pepper, may I come in!"

"One moment!" I squeak as Jack scrambles under the bed. I pull the sheets down so that they cover the gap between the bed and the floor. "Come in!"

Pepper walks into the room. I smile as brightly as possible as she says, "I've got something for you!"

"Yes?" I say in such a high-pitched voice that I swear I hear the underside of the bed snorting as if containing laughter.

Pepper hands me a sleek iPhone, inside a thick protective case to prevent it from breaking. "This is for you. Tony enhances it a little bit; it can now be used as a radio and a location server in case you get lost. It will also tell you if someone is nearby and who they are, if possible, assuming they're hooked up to the system. Here, I'll show you if you'd like-"

"No, no that's fine!" I say hurriedly, jumping up to take the phone. I'm pretty sure Jack will be hooked up to this system, and I have no intentions of Pepper catching him hiding under my bed at ten o'clock at night.