38- Chains (*)(/)

Hi everyone!
Hey, since it's summer, I'm writing a lot more! yay! Also, because I'm going out of town soon, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to write. Hopefully, though!

Thanks for all the support!

And I'm adding an edit, when I get it, made my the lovely lokidottir. 

Thanks for reading! 

Chapter Thirty-Eight 

~Thea's POV~

That night, I wake up to the humming of the engines. Jack is snoring above me; his hand hanging off the top bunk. That's when I realize it wasn't the engines that woke me up; it's the tread of footsteps as they walk past Jack's and my cabin. 

I get up slowly, trying to be quiet. The light under the door is on. It's three in the morning. Why are they up now?

Crouching down, I put my ear to the crack in the door. I only hear the mumbling of male voices. At times like these, I miss having Natasha around. At least us girls could stick together. 

I know I don't have a choice if I want to figure out what's happening. Slowly, I open the door, careful to not let it squeak. 

"Should've known you'd get up."

His voice is so close, I jump, half out of shock, half out of nerves. "Kyle?" I gasp.

"In the flesh." he crosses his arms. "I figured I'd rather come on over here. Besides," he punches my arm lightly. "I might as well keep an eye on you."

"So...so..." I stammer, "You just... just hopped on-"

"Don't be stupid, I can't fly. I was on my own jet and basically plane-hopped."

I bite my lip. "There was an actual reason that you're here, isn't there?"

He looks like he's about to say something snarky, but then his eyes darken. "Yes." he sighs. 

"What is it?" I beg, shaking his arm. "Is Leah-"

"Let go of me." he shakes me off. "And there's nothing new about Leah. I'm here because the location I was sent off to was proved to be a negative. It has to be this one."

"Oh." I say. I wipe my eyes. I'm not sure why I'm crying. I think I'm just tired. That has to be it. Tired and stressed. 

Kyle raises his eyes to the ceiling, then pulls me in for a quick hug. "Well you're not going to be falling asleep anymore. Tony and Natasha came aboard early too. You might as well come with us and hear what we have to say."

I glance back at Jack, then let Kyle lead me up the main aisle way, where the couch and computer had been. Now, it's a pile of pages and maps and stressed adults. Tony, Peter, Natasha, Loki, Steve, and Max are all standing around charts and diagrams and holographs. 

Tony sees me first, but doesn't really seem to care. "Long time, no see kid."

The first person who cares is Loki, who gives me a look of utter annoyance which is then passed on to Kyle. "Why did you bring her?"

"Because she has a right?" says Kyle as if this were perfectly obvious. I can't help but grin up at him. 

"Does she now?" says Loki, his gaze falling once again to me. I'm too tired to care, so I just make a face at him. 

"Moving on," says Steve, his eyes looking up from the papers he was scavenging. "We need to establish a plan of action."

"Yeah so basically, we have a camp of Imeldi. An underground camp." says Tony. "I'm not sure if this explanation is for himself or for me. "We need to get down there and infiltrate it. We also need to find a way to get the Mantra before they do. Assuming they get it before we do."