51- It's Bloody Freezing (*)

Hi there!

Hope you all like this chapter! :-) 

Dedicated to a wonderful author and reader :) 

Chapter Fifty-One

~Thea's POV~

Of course, Loki's playful and sentimental facade vanishes as soon as we leave the throne room, but I never expected anything different. Although, as we turn a corner, I trip, seemingly on my feet, but I swear that Loki's smirk has something to do not with my clumsiness, but with his scepter that might have "accidentally" swung in front of my feet. 

"What does that thing do anyway?" I ask, pointing at the stick and trying to cover up my dignity.

 The healer had given me food- thankfully, because I had been famished from stubbornly refusing to eat spider monkey and toucan in the rainforest- so I suspect that we are now off, back to the rainbow bridge and Heimdall to return to Earth. 

Loki raises his eyebrows and points the scepter at me as we descend a flight of darkened stairs towards the stables. "Would you like to find out?"

I scowl at him. "What was that about you not wanting to kill me?"

"I can change my mind at any second." 

We reach the stables, where there is already a horse saddled and bridled, held by one of the same stable boys from earlier today. I spot the problem immediately. "There are two of us." I say. "There's one horse." 

Loki ignores me and takes the reins from the boy. "Get on." he says to me, nodding up at the saddle. 

"I said and proved that I can ride a horse by myself," I say, accentuating the point. 

Loki moves the horse close to me, then punches my bandaged arm. 

"OW!" I exclaim, grabbing my arm, which is tingling painfully. "What was that for?"

"You're not riding a horse with an arm like that, and especially as recklessly as you ride. Besides, you're going to need that arm soon enough, and there's no point in you tearing it out by galloping across a bridge."

"But-"

"Get on the damn horse, Thea." 

I curl my lip at him and mount the animal; the movement is actually quite painful from my arm, but I manage it all the same. Loki leaps on behind me, his scepter (probably purposely) knocking the back of my neck. 

"What are you going to do, ride one handed?" I sneer. 

Then, I yelp as Loki, without responding, kicks the horse forward and at seemingly lightning speed, it thunders out of the stable. I  try to grab the horse's neck, yelling back at Loki, "This might have been easier for me if I were behind you, you know that?"

"Well what would have been the fun in that?" asks Loki, and I swear I can hear the grin in his voice. 

By the time the horse has sped through the city and across the translucent rainbow bridge, the sun is high in the sky. He reins the horse to a stop so suddenly, the poor horse snorts and rears so that I nearly topple off its back. 

"Thanks for nothing," I mutter to Loki, who either doesn't hear me or doesn't care. I dismount the horse and land heavily to the ground. 

As Loki follows suit, I pat the horse's sweaty neck, stroking its poll and behind its ears. "And thank you for putting up with this madman." I whisper.

"I heard that."

I smile without turning around, kiss the horse's nose, and join Loki as he enters the Bifrost. Heimdall is waiting for us, his amber eyes seemingly fixed halfway on us and halfway out on the window towards the cosmos.