Chapter 43- Undercover

V managed to keep a very low profile the days following the first and managed to avoid talking to George altogether. This seemed to make all of her fellow Slytherins happy but she really couldn't do this for much longer. It had been four days since she last spoke to George and it was clear that he was starting to catch on that something wasn't right.

Every time he made an advance on V, she quickly turned away and a group of Slytherins would stand in his way. Draco managed to convince the majority of Slytherin that if the captain of the Slytherin quidditch team dated someone on the Gryffindor team, Slytherin would lose the quidditch cup for sure. At this point V was starting to feel bad, George had absolutely no idea for why she was avoiding him and looked a bit hurt every time V turned away. But there was nothing she could do about it.

So V went about her day as she usually did, with her head hanging low and her books hugged protectively to her chest. She made her way to her first class, transfiguration where she tried her best to concentrate but no matter what, her mind seemed to drift. Thankfully for her, V had one of her favorite classes next; Herbology,  which also had her favorite teacher.

In Herbology they had a lesson on a dangerous vine that choked at those who walked to close to it. It also leaked out acid when it wrapped itself around its prey tightly enough. A Gryffindor boy accidentally got too close to it without the correct safety proportions and got choked temporarily. V was too fascinated by the plants movement to notice that this boy was just about to suffocate to death. Professor Sprout wacked the plant with a large stick and it then coward away from the boy.

At the end of the lesson, V lingered behind a little longer as everyone slowly made their way out of the greenhouse and towards the castle.

"Don't you want to be getting a move on to lunch?" Professor Sprout asked, washing her soil covered hands under a tap.

"Well I didn't think having a little talk with you would take up too much of my time." V replied.

"Hmm, I've been wondering why you haven't been visiting me in the mornings so far this year."

V let out a dreary sigh, unsure where to begin. Professor Sprout sat down next to her, noticing the unease in her student's eyes. "What's wrong dear?" She asked.

"I don't know, it's just- all my friends- everyone I mean seems to not like George and I." V stammered, "Together I mean to say." She added, hoping that Professor Sprout would understand.

"Everyone? I'm sure that can't be true. Could you be a bit more specific?"

"My quidditch team for one, and then all my friends, and then when we're not at Hogwarts, his mother."

Professor Sprout looked at her thoughtfully, "Well for a start you are the captain of your quidditch team. No one controls you, you control them. I can definitely see how it can be a bit tricky with Mr Malfoy and his attitude and Professor Snape always favoring him but all you can do is try your best to stand your ground. Next of all, whichever friends you're talking about I'm not sure you can call them your friends. A blind man could see that you and George cherish each other greatly, if your friends can't respect that then are they really looking out for your best interest?"

V bit her lip, now very unsure for what she should do, Professor Sprout then suddenly gave V a big hug saying, "You look like you need a hug. V honey, I'm not trying to tell you who to be friends with, I'm just saying you shouldn't let others dictate your life."

"I know. Thank you Professor, I think I'll go to lunch now but your words have helped a lot." V replied with a weak smile.

"Alright, run along dear, and I hope to see you a bit more in the mornings now. I miss your company."