Chapter 21

Drake POV
I wait patiently at the window watching and waiting for Sophia. Its late, the moon is hidden behind thick clouds and rain pounds against the window. Not a good night for her to be on the road. I stand and begin to pace the floor, my patience leaving me. Maybe she stopped somewhere along the way and stayed the night. Yes, that was probably... A sharp knock on the study door pulls me from my thoughts.

"Yes?"

"I have news about Princess Sophia."

I quickly stride over to the door and pull it open with enough power to startle the servant on the other side.

"What is it."

"Sir Dering sent word that, because of the storm, they would have to stay at an inn. He claims that  they will be here in the morning."

The servant turns to go but I grab his shoulder and force him to face me. "Claims?" I growl anger and mistrust lacing my words.

"Well, there is a rumor that he and Sophia are to be..." He pauses, fear crossing his face.

"Tell me!" I give him a firm shaking.

"To be married." And he runs off so as to not be an object of my temper.

"What?!" I shout slamming the door. "How, how could she?!" I flip over a chair and smash my wine glass on the floor.

My Sophia, betrayed me and is now with that... that Sir Dering. I knew there was something between them. I should have never let her go.

I fight the urge to leave right now and bring her back by force but there will be time enough when she gets back. Oh, when she gets back. I smile then replace it with a scowl. Why should I be happy for her return? She betrayed me! But of course, Sir Dering or her father could have forced her into it and it could just be a rumor. Servants spread them about their masters all the time. Yes, that's... that's all it is, a rumor. I hope.

Sophia POV

The morning breaks and Clay is already up.

"Good morning beautiful." He smiles and presses a soft kiss against my forehead.

"Good morning Clay."

I get up and smooth out my dress.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Will I ever be." I sigh and walk over to the wash basin.

Clay comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. "It'll be ok. I'll figure out a way to get you out of their." He moves his hand up my back and quickly ties a string that has come undone. A simple gesture but a meaningful one to me.

"But Clay, what if you get hurt what if..." I choke on the words but Clay knows what's on his mind. He turns me to face him and passionately kisses me. I gasp as my eyes hit the balcony doors and a very familiar dark green eye peers in.

"C...Clay look." I point to the window but a firm voice alerts him instead.

"What do you think you're doing with my princess?"

Drakes giant hand forces its way through the balcony doors and grabs us firmly. I scream and try to grab hold of something but I'm pulled outside without hesitation. Drake pulls us apart, holding me tightly in one hand and Clay in the other.

"Well, answer me!"

Clay glares up at Drake without fear and firmly states, "kissing My fiancé."

"Your what?" This time Drake shifts his dark gaze on me.

I shiver uncomfortably and look away.

"My fiancé." Clay repeats, a smug tone to his voice.

I look back at Drake, fear filling me as I see a smirk cross his face.

"Well, you sure are confident for someone I can crush so easily."

Drake begins to tighten his hold on Clay.

"Wait, no!"

Surprisingly Drake smiles and turns his gaze to me. "This again? What do you have to offer me this time?"

"Anything you want!" I almost scream it as Clays face begins to get a bluish tone to it.

"Anything?"

"Anything!" I know it's a mistake as soon as the words leave my mouth but what other choice do I have.

"Perfect." Drake growls huskily. He opens his hand over the balcony and drops the now gasping Clay onto it. "Now, lets go home."

"Wait, Sophia!"

I look back at Clay. He's staring at me with pleading eyes. I mouth the word sorry and remove his ring from my finger. I toss it to him, sunlight glistening off the diamond as it flies through the air. Sadly, before I can see if he catches it, I'm stuffed into the chest pocket of my owner. His fingers momentarily stroke my form before removing themselves. I sniffle and curl up in the corner. I knew I was to be brought back but, not like this. Because of me, Clay got hurt. I... I knew it was wrong to accept his proposal yet I did because for some reason I hoped that it would somehow give me a way to return home. What a foolish and false hope.

"Sophia,"

"Yes Drake?"

"How could you?"

I feel a familiar feeling almost like guilt wash over me. What should I feel guilty for though? I have done nothing wrong. Right?

I choose to remain silent and try to relax as much as I can.

Drake POV
I'm just... I can't put my finger on what I'm feeling at the moment. I'm not angry at her, no. I'm... well... I just don't know. I know I hurt her with those last words but it was an honest question. I slip my fingers back into the pocket and curl them around her, removing her small body and cradling her in my hand.

"Wha... what are you doing?"

"Hush, it's alright it's just been so long since I held you."

I run my fingers over her. I stroke her waist, her hair, her back and I can't say how wonderful it is to have her back on my hands. She shivers at my touch but I know once I get her back home she'll warm right back up.

"D...drake are... are you mad at... at me?"

"Well... no, no I'm not mad at you."

And it's the truth, I'm not mad at her. I look down at her one more time before placing her back in my pocket. She struggles for a moment before curling up against me, just like before.