Chapter 51

Sophia POV

I heft the bucket up onto the stone wall, wiping my brow and looking out at the valley below. If Lucian could see me now, ankle deep in soil and mud I could just imagine the look on his face. I smile at the thought. But, I wanted to help and so here I was with many of the other women, hefting stones up for the wall and busying myself with the small vegetable gardens nestled in the small clearings on the mountainsides.

"Sophia!"

I look over my shoulder at Angelina. She runs over to me.

"Angelina, what is it?" I laugh at her appearance.

Her curly blond locks flow wildly in the wind. Her hair hanging down her back, the string around her neck the only thing keeping it from the clutches of the wind. Her pink dress has at least an inch of mud stains along the bottom hem and her apron pocket is filled with wildflowers.

"Lucian..." she pants. "Lucian is looking for you."

"Now!" I gasp.

"Yes he's just...just down the road." She gasps grabbing my hand and pulling me along behind her.

We race down the rocky path, the grass brushing our legs and skirts, soaking them in the process.

"Come on come on hurry!" Angelina calls over her shoulder.

"I'm running as fast as I can!" I laugh, sprinting after her.

We sprint through the trees, leaping from stone to stone across a small creek and over a log that has fallen across the trail. Our lungs fill with the warm spring air as we suck in deep breathes, fueling our bodies as we race through the wood.

"Lucian is right... over th...there." Angelina skids to a stop, we double over panting.

She bends over, hands on her knees drawing in deep, raged breathes while I lean against a tree, sucking in air.

"Where?" I ask, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Here."

I whip around, finding a smirking Lucian standing behind me, his arms folded across his chest.

"Lucian." I gasp, stepping back slightly. "I uh... I didn't realize you would be back so soon."

"I can see that." He chuckles, eyeing my muddy baby blue dress.

"Heh." I laugh awkwardly.

We stare at each other awkwardly, unsure of the next words to say.

"I'm just gonna go." We both turn to Angelina who awkwardly waves a goodbye and darts away, disappearing between the trunks of the forest.

"You know, she's a lot of fun." I say, trying to remove the silence.

"A very nice way to change the subject Princess." Lucian chuckles, leaning up against a tree. "If I recall properly, I had asked you to stay home and wait for Miss Vienna."

"Are you absolutely certain you recall correctly because, I seem to have no recollection of you ever saying that." I reply coyly.

"Oh very funny princess." He rolls his eyes, moving closer. "Do you happen to know she waited all of fifteen minutes for you."

"Really? I thought it would be more." I shrug, giving him a smile.

"You're missing the point." He chuckles. "Miss Vienna was at my home for fifteen minutes, unchaperoned."

"So?" I shrug.

"I found her digging through my desk trying to find some nonexistent love letters she swore were hidden there."