Writing Character Descriptions

Pausing the story to give a character description can often break the natural flow of the story and come across as static and forced. But there are a few tricks to help your character descriptions feel more fluid...

1. Descriptions should say something about who the character is.
Whenever you describe a character, it's good to stop and think about what each piece of their appearance says about them. Why did they choose this outfit with these accessories? What impact has their physical features had on their self esteem? What parts of their personality come through in their posture and resting expression?
• Vibrant colors can portray an outgoing or individualistic character.
• Messy outfits and hair show stress, bad time management or sloppiness.
• Broken noses, scars, and bruises show rebellion, a fighting spirit, or a rough life.

This doesn't mean that everything you describe needs to convey a character trait to the reader – some things are worth including just to give your readers the ability to visualize the scene – but it's still very useful to look through your character's appearance and focus on those things that say the most.

2. Descriptions are more than just static visuals.
People aren't just composed of the colors they wear and their prominent features. Remember that descriptions can (and should) also include things like:
How they walk and move.
• The quality of their voice.
• Nervous ticks and habits.
•The way they interact with their own appearance. (E.g putting up their hair, adjusting their suit, twirling their scarf, digging through their purse, etc.)

3. Putting it all together: Work description into action.
By including both static visuals and active aspects into the actions the character is taking when they're introduced, you end up with a much more fluid, natural description.