Chapter 18

When Zane woke his cheek still ached from where she slapped him. He knew she was in the room even before he opened his eyes, he could smell her perfume. Zane pulled himself up on the bed, leaning on the wall behind. She stood by the window, her hands pulled behind her back. He looked at her, so striking in her black leather corset and full length skirt, the cold domineering women had returned. Zane so desperately wanted to tell her that he was sorry, he did it out of love for Jules but he knew it would be of no use, she would feel used.

Lucas had told her that Zane was here for a purpose and had been side-tracked by one of the slave women. Some woman named Julia. After that, she didn't want to hear any more. Her worst fears were confirmed, there was someone else. Someone that he clearly loved. Someone that was not her.

'Did you ever love me?'

She could hear the crack in her voice, her heart was heaving with the weight of being betrayed, again.

'From the very first second you stepped into my life.'

'You're a liar, why would I believe you?'

'I have never lied to you, I just omitted the part about her. I didn't know where she was until I came here. I thought she was dead or worse. To find her here, alive and well.' he sighed 'I'm sorry Ariella, I know I should have told you about her but I feared you would send her away. I just wanted her safe. I know she's safe here but I still held fear that she would die, I wanted her as far away from here as possible.'

He looked up at her, she still stared out the window. If she had heard anything he didn't know, she didn't even flinch.

'Again, I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you, I just wanted to protect my sister.'

She stared out the window, trying to stop the tear that was begging for release. But then the word hit her, sister. Ariella wanted to crumple to the ground in a happy tear filled release. Not wife, not girlfriend.... sister. What a wonderful word it was she thought.

'But I do love you, honestly. Think about it, I agreed to turn for you. It's not just words Ariella, I could have left last night, but I didn't.'

'What is this debt that you have to pay?'

Zane hadn't realised how much she had heard. That put a kink his plan for pleading his case. In his mind the flowers mocked a soft smile at him, whispering to be honest, tell her everything. She may let you live, if you are honest Zane. And if not, wouldn't it be better to die by her hands than anyone else. Zane sighed and scratched his fingers through his scalp. Time to lay it all out, don't hold back. Drop the wall and give her everything. Ariella looked at him, entering his mind she found that everything was open to her. She quickly withdrew, knowing he was about to give her what she wanted. Honesty.

'I have to deliver a gem to a rogue at midnight tonight in lieu of payment for the medicine that was bought for my father.'

'Are you a rogue?'

'No.' he said simply.

'What gem? We have hundreds of them.'

He shrugged.

'It's called the Heart of the Mordecai Clan.'

Ariella laughed, she laughed so hard she had to hold herself to the wall.

'What?'

He grinned, wondering what was so funny. But still her laughter gave him hope. Hope that he hadn't ended his chances with her.