Chapter 20

Zane felt the soft skin of Ariella's hand curl into his hand sending a flush of heat rushing through him. If they were alone he might have whispered some very naughty things to her or lavished her with kisses. But her father was standing near them. They patiently waited outside the large wooden doors to the ballroom. Lucas looked at his watch and huffed, he called for a servant.

'Find out what is taking my son so long please.'

'Yes your highness.' the man bowed and scurried out of the entry.

Zane stood next to Ariella listening to the music playing inside the ballroom, the people beyond the closed doors were already dancing. He could feel the music fill him, rumbling through his body as if it were an empty cavity. Zane could barely remember the one dance lesson that Ariella had given him before they were rudely interrupted by their urges. He looked at her, one dirty smirk was slapped across her face like she was remembering it too. How he would survive the night without pushing her to the dance floor he had no clue. To be ruled by a body part, controlled by lust, it was a tragedy. A dirty, smutty, euphoric haze of tragic emotions. He looked to Ariella again, watching her erratic breathing. The rapid fall and rise of her chest, the carnal look in her eye, the curl of the grin in the corner of her mouth. Any second now he thought she might start drooling. Or ripping his clothes off. Either way, he was good for it.

A minute later Elston rushed into the room, pulling Natalie with him. She curtsied as she approached the group.

'What took you so long?' Lucas hissed at his son.

Elston smirked and was about to tell him when his father stopped him.

'No, don't.'

Zane looked at the blonde who looked away a little embarrassed, he instantly knew why they were late. Lucas moved to the door as his wife linked her arm in his. She looked like she was ready to have that kid any minute. Zane thought she looked huge and wondered if there was more than one in there.

'My darling Scarlett, you look lovely as always.' he heard the king whisper to her.

She closed her eyes and smiled warmly as he kissed her cheek, rubbing her swollen belly.

'Ready?'

He turned to Ariella who was beaming happiness. The carnal intent was history, now she was excited. This was a new Ariella and Zane was even more smitten. As he nodded his head he was left with the thought that he had never seen her so happy as she was right then and there. She pulled his arm and linked hers into his.

'Remember what you were taught and you'll be fine.'

The servants opened the doors as the music changed now more ominous than before. It thumped through him, deep booming sounds interjected by other sounds that were sweet and lyrical. Zane knew he would be spending years learning about all of this. Music, dancing, polite conversations, etiquette, dressing appropriately, the list went on and on in his mind. He hoped that if he distracted himself, he would forget that it looked like there were thousands of eyes watching him. Lucas and Scarlett stepped through first. Zane looked into the room as Ariella gently tugged his arm. He could see everyone was still staring at him and for a second he hoped that their drinks would seem more appetising to them. The men bowed and the women curtsied as they passed, something he was not used to. But he knew it was not for him, he knew it was for the woman on his arm. Over and over again he ran through the procedure in his mind. Wait for Lucas and Scarlett to sit, stand behind Ariella who would be sitting beside her mother, wait for Elston and the blonde, who would stand behind Elston. Lucas would give a quick speech and then he could relax for the rest of the evening.