Chapter Nine - Jakki

I woke up the next morning with Daryl's arm across my back as I laid on my stomach. He was still asleep, his chest rising and falling in a slow rhythm. He has his hand turned so his palm was on the small of my back.

I got out of bed with out disturbing him and ran to go take a shower. I take a quick one and go back to my room, still in my towel and expecting to find Daryl still asleep. He was sitting up in bed and looked right at me when I entered the room.

He stared right at my face and then my thighs that were visible in the skimpy towel I was wearing. He could see my scars.

I ran to my dresser and grabbed some clothes before running back to the bathroom and locking it.

       I leaned against the door and took deep breaths to try and calm and gather myself. Daryl saw my scars. No big deal, right?

       I knew it was a big deal. I knew how they all got there and they all made me ashamed. I was weak and pathetic.

       I couldn't help but to start to cry. I didn't want him to know, not just yet. I always wore jeans and a long sleeve t shirt for a reason. I didn't want anybody to know.

       I dried my eyes and washed my face before changing. I waited a few minutes, until I was ready, to step out the door.

       I walked to the laundry room and dropped off the clothes before going back to my room. I found Daryl still in the same spot, just staring at the floor.

       Sitting down, I grabbed the camera off the shelf and started to mess with it a little, checking what each of the buttons meant and all.

"You hurt yourself?" His low voice chimed in through the sound of clicking plastic and finger nails on plastic.

       I looked at him. He still stared at the floor.

"No." I shook my head and set the camera down, looking at my hands in my lap.

"Then why do you have them?" He looked at the wall in front of him now.

       I closed my eyes and gathered myself while I tried to find the words. I had no idea how to put it. I opened my eyes to find Daryl at the foot of my bed, looking right at me. He was so quiet.

"The Claimers..." I sighed. "They burned me with their cigarettes. They started cutting me at first when I'd fight back. Then it became something for them to do when they got tired of... the other thing." I kept my eyes glued on my hands the entire time I spoke. I was damaged goods at this point. He won't want me anymore. I'm surprised he even wanted me to begin with.

       He stayed silent, his eyes digging into me. He then kneeled in front of me and held my hand. "I'm sorry."

       I chuckled. "No offense, but it wasn't your fault." I reached up and brushed a tear away.

"Well, it's gonna be okay. I'm here."

I looked at him, our eyes almost leveled. I brushed my thumb across his knuckles and gave him a little smile. I looked into his blue orbs and felt comfort and assurance.

He used his other hand to wipe some tears away and rested it against my cheek. He leaned up and kissed my forehead.

"Why are you even with me? You have enough bullshit of your own to put up with." I know he did. He didn't need mine.

He looked at me for a minute. "You're worth it." He pecked my lips and stood up, exiting the room.

I watched his tall and broad figure leave the room while I stayed seated. I then looked down at the floor and realized how tired I was of wearing long sleeves in the summer. I decided to change into a short sleeve t shirt with stripes going across the chest.

I go downstairs and find Daryl sitting on the couch, sharpening his arrows. He looked up at me as I hung a long sleeve button up on the coat rack, for when people come over.

Daryl put his arrows down and watched as I walked over and sat by him. I simply said nothing, I just leaned my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me and kissed my temple.

My body was overwhelmed with security and the feelings I had for the redneck. It wasn't safe to say that I loved him yet but I definitely had feelings for him. Feelings that I never had for anybody else.

There was a knock at the door and I jumped up to put my shirt on and then answer it. It was Rick.

Daryl got up from the couch and walked over. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." He looked at me. "There's just someone at the gate, screaming for Jakki."

I immediately walked out to go inspect. Through the bars on the inner gate, what I saw filled me with dread.

One of my captors was still alive. He was just missing an eye and he looked filthier than normal. He still wore his khakis, grease stained Dr. Pepper shirt, and a torn leather jacket.

"There you are, you little whore. You thought you could run?" He leaned up against metal, his breathe stinging my nose. "I see they've fixed you up all nice and pretty for me." He bit his lip as he looked me up and down. "Come on home."

"No." I said through gritted teeth. "There's no home with you."

He scoffed. "You know what you're made for, honey. Come serve your purpose."

"She said no, asshole." Daryl growled from behind me.

I turned around to see him walking up with Rick following him.

"Did you get yourself another boyfriend? Weren't we enough?" He cooed. He reaches through the bars and began stroking my cheek.

I froze, my breathing stopped, my eyes closed. I was back in that state again where I just let it happen.

There was a crack, the feeling of his fingers left my face, and there was a cry.

I opened my eyes to find Daryl with a death gripped on the man's now crooked forearm, bone peeking from the skin.

"Open the gate!" Daryl bellowed after he let the man crumble to the ground.

Rosita obeyed and Daryl marched out. He lifted him up off the ground by the collar of his shirt and back handed him.