Chapter Fourteen - Daryl

We followed the man known as Jerry to where we'd be staying. It was a small apartment like thing with a queen sized bed. It was just fine for me and Jakki.

"Thank you." Jakki spoke up.

       Jerry smiled. "You look tired." He looked at me. "You should get some rest." He advised me before he left.

       Jakki turned and looked up at me. "He's not wrong, you know." She held my hands.

"I'm fine." I assured her. "I'll be fine. I just need time with my girl."

"I don't think Carol is here." She teased, causing me to crack a small smile.

"You know who I mean." I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her close. "I didn't stop thinking about you in there. I'm not gonna waste my time out here sleeping."

       She looked up at me and smiled softly. "I didn't stop thinking about you either." Her voice cracked and she was trying not to cry.

"I'm here now." I rested a hand against her cheek. "I don't plan on leaving you anytime soon."

       She put a hand over mine and leaned her face into my palm. "You didn't really plan the last time," she said quietly. "But I refuse to let you go."

       I lifted up her chin and pecked her lips. "Rest with me." I pulled her to the bed and laid down. 

       She laid next to me and rested her head on my chest. "You look good in this." She said quietly.

"A shirt?"

       I heard her giggle. "Black button ups. That's what you look good in." She was quiet for a minute. "Where's your vest?"

"That bastard with the scar took it." I mumbled.

"We'll get it back."

       I smiled at the sound of determination in her voice. I hadn't heard that much determination from her since we took her on her first run. "Yeah, we will."

       I stared at the ceiling and stroked Jakki's back. I couldn't explain how happy I was to have her back. I wasn't able to be at home in Alexandria with her but, honestly, home was where she was.

       Jakki sat up and looked at me. "What did they do to you while you were there?"

"You don't want to know." I shook my head.

"I don't really want to but I want you to get it out so it doesn't stay bottled up."

       I sighed softly and looked at the ceiling. "Are you sure you want to hear? Are you ready for it?"

       She hesitantly nodded and sat up against the headboard. She patted her lap as an invitation to lay my head down.

       I began to and then looked at her one more time to make sure she was okay with me being that close. She smiled softly and nodded.

       I laid my head down and looked at the ceiling. I felt her fingers start to comb through my hair. "So... they took all my clothes... left me naked in a cell with no windows or light." I started out.

"The made me eat dog food as a way to try and get me to join them. Negan came and visited me, asking me about you," I cleared my throat. "He asked me if you were my daughter." I chuckled a bit. "I then told him about us and he teased me for not having sex and so I told him about you."

       Her legs tensed up under my head and her fingers stopped moving. "What did he say?"

"That he didn't tolerate that stuff. He immediately knocked his teasing off and left me," I took in a deep breath. "With a picture of Glenn." My voice shook and cracked.

       Jakki moved a hand to my cheek and stroked with her thumb. "You can't blame yourself for what happened."

"He'd still be alive if I had just stayed still. Maggie would still have a husband, their baby would still have a father."

"You didn't know." She looked down at me. "Maggie doesn't blame you."

"It's just... He was picking on you... I couldn't let it happen. I had forgotten about everything and when I remembered, I thought it would be me." I sniffled.

"She doesn't blame you." She said softly. "She blames Negan."

       I nodded slightly and sighed. "We've been together for a while, yeah?"

"About four months by now. Why?"

"Just wondering." I held her hand.

       I was wondering if right now was a good time to confess my feelings. I'm sure it was the kind of feelings that I could only ever feel for one person. That person was her.

       She made me feel wanted and like wherever she was, that was home. My feelings were always valid with her and she always listened. She was somebody I wanted to protect and be with for a long time.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Always." She smiled softly.

"I love you."

Her face was still for a second and then her smile grew bigger. "I love you, too, Daryl." She replied.

I smiled and gently pulled her face down, placing a small kiss on her lips. I sat up and rested my forehead against hers. "I thought you wouldn't say it back."

"I thought you'd never say it." She chuckled. "But of course I love you."

"I don't see how but I'm glad you do."

"I have every reason to love you. You're caring, brave, and patient with me. You make me feel calm."

I smiled softly. That was how I felt about her as well.

"I trust you as well. And you know that's a lot."

"You can always trust me." I said, a bit sternly as the thought of the men came into my mind.

"I know." A tear slid down her cheek. "I sometimes think you're too good to me."

I wiped it away. "You deserve the best. I'm not the best but I try."

"No. You are the best. You just have no idea." She pulled away from me. "You'll probably never know but you are."

I stared at her and said nothing. I had no idea what to say. But the woman I loved loved me back and I knew she did. She didn't fake emotions like these. I knew her too well.

"Maybe you're the one who's too good to me."

She chuckled and shook her head. "Just let me love you. You deserve it."

I smiled and looked down. "Alright, alright."

She kissed my cheek and gently pushed me back down into her lap so she could play with my hair.

"Is this okay?"

I closed my eyes and nodded, humming in pleasure. I had never had somebody play with my hair before and it was the best feeling ever.

I forgot how tired I was so I didn't think twice about closing my eyes. It wasn't long before I fell asleep.