Chapter Ten - Daryl

His jaw cracked as my fist collided with it. All I felt at that moment was anger and hatred for the man beneath me. He hurt her.

I picked him up and slammed him back down, his head smacking the concrete. "She's not yours. She never was." I growled at him.

He raised his head off the ground and looked at me. "You're just mad that I've had her more than you have. She's damaged now." He spat out, his blood coating his lips. He turned and looked at Jakki. "She'll always be my whore."

I grabbed his jaw and forced him to look at me, causing him to cry out in pain. "You don't look at her, you don't talk to her." My hand moved down to his neck and I squeezed.

His face turned a dark shade of purple before I released. He coughed and smirked up at me. "It doesn't change what she is. She's still used and she's still a sl-."

I cut him off with another fist to the nose and another to the jaw. I pulled my knife out and held it to his neck.

Once he pushed through the pain, he smirked at me. "You're too pussy to do it. You also know that she is not worth killing a man over."

I stared down at him. He had no idea how much I cared for her, what I'd do for her. He had no idea how much I hated him for what he and all his friends did to her. I've hated him since the moment Glenn told me about them. I've cared for her since the moment I laid eyes on her. She was worth everything to me.

I scoffed and pulled the knife away from his neck, blood seeping out of the small cut the blade made.

"I knew you couldn't do it." He smirked. "That bitch isn't wor-."

My knife sunk into his skull with a crunch and a squelchy noise. He went silent and his eyes went dead. His chest stopped rising and falling and his mouth stayed agape. Even when he was dead, his mouth wouldn't stay shut.

I pulled my knife out and wiped the blood off on his shirt and put back in my boot. I stood and looked at Jakki.

She looked between me and the body with wide eyes. When her eyes finally settled on me, I felt like I had lost everything. I felt like in that moment she saw me as a monster and I had lost her forever.

I looked down and began to walk home. I stopped when I felt a small hand on my forearm. I looked and found Jakki following me. She kept her head down.

"I'll help you clean up." She said quietly.

We silently walked home and up to the bathroom. She grabbed a washcloth and wet it with water before gingerly wiping the blood off my knuckles. I watched her the entire time.

Her face was blank yet soft in expression. She was mainly concentrated on not hurting me and possibly trying not to cry.

She took the cloth to the laundry room and I went to her room and sat on her bed. When she walked in, she looked right at me for the first time since we got home. She walked over and stood between my legs as she hugged me.

I felt a huge wave of relief as I wrapped my arms around her waist. I couldn't help but to bury my face in the crook of her neck. I still had her.

"Thank you." She whispered. Her voice was quaky so I knew she was crying.

I pulled my head away and looked at her, still keeping my arms around her. I reached a hand up and wiped her tears away. "Anything for you." I whispered back.

She rested her hand against my cheek and sighed softly. "I thought you had gotten all of them the first time."

"I did, too." I said quietly. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry." She shook her head. "Nothing is your fault here."

I nodded a little bit and kept my eyes fixed on her. I pulled her closer and kissed her lips.

She kissed back and rested her hands on my shoulders. She pulled away for a second and resumed the kiss.

Her lips were so soft and she tasted so sweet. The way her lips moved against mine was almost intoxicating. At the time, it was one of my favorite feelings.

She pulled away and looked at me. "Don't ever apologize for protecting me."

I nodded at her. She should know that I will never stop protecting her. She was one of the better parts of my life and I didn't plan to lose that.

She took off her flannel and sat next to me, allowing me to put my arm around her. She leaned against me and I heard her sigh softly, like she was calm.

I kissed the top of her head and rubbed her arm with my thumb. I rested my head on hers and looked at the wall.

It was in that moment when I realized that she was all I'd ever want. Nobody compared to her. She was the most precious thing to me and she could never do me wrong.

We soon got up to have dinner and take care of some stuff. Night soon fell over and we headed to bed.

"Let's stay in your bed tonight." She suggested.

I looked at her. "Are you sure?" My bedroom wasn't the nicest of places. It was a bit messy and I never really made my bed. I also hadn't changed the sheets in a few weeks and I didn't want her to think I was totally gross.

She nodded. "Yeah. We stay in my room all the time. Let's change it up." She took my unbruised hand and walked to my room. She took off her shoes and crawled under my covers.

I did the same as her and pulled her close. "Is this really okay with you?"

She nodded and smiled softly. She looked down and held my hand, running her thumb along my calloused fingertips. I watcher hand and then my eyes drifted down to the scatter of cigarette and knife scars that scattered her arm.

My hand immediately went to her forearm and I ran my fingers over her scars. I heard her sigh softly and when I looked at her, she was looking down.

"You're still beautiful." I said quietly.

She looked up at me and smiled softly. She moved closer to me and rested her head against my chest.

Between you and me, one of my other favorite feelings was just her presence. She could be across the room and I just get this feeling. I also loved the feeling of having feelings for her.

She just brought me this sense of calm that no one else ever has. I'll be damned if I let that go.