Chapter Thirteen - Jakki

It had been about a while, a couple weeks at the most, since I last saw Daryl. That wasn't the last time they came, though. They paid weekly visits but I always stayed inside. I just know that the come and take what they like and the last time they came, two people died. Olivia and Spencer.

       I didn't care about Spencer. He was selfish and didn't care about the rest of us. I was upset about Olivia because she didn't deserve it. So, I was naturally pissed at Rosita for causing it to happen. Eugene was gone now.

       I was packing for a visit to the Hilltop so could visit Maggie, Enid, and Sasha. I hadn't seen them since the lineup.

       I hopped in the truck with Rick and we took off. I was kind of dreading the trip because I had heard about the leader, Gregory, and he was a real pissant. He thought he knew everything but he was also weak as hell.

       We parked and got out, heading to the large building. We walked to his office where Maggie, Jesus, and Sasha were standing.

"You can't just give into him like that." Maggie crossed her arms. "That's not what a leader does."

"Well, he doesn't fight anyone he can!" He said from his seat.

       Maggie shook her head and looked at us. "Oh, hey. What are you doing here?"

"Came to talk to Gregory." Rick said. "Looks like you're doing a fine enough job."

"You try getting through his thick skull." She mumbled.

"I'm just here to check in on you." I spoke up.

"I'm doing fine." She smiled dryly and sighed. "It's just hard, trying to get through to him."

"Come on. You don't need to put that stress on the baby." I started to lead her out.

"I got it from here." Rick said.

       There was a loud knock in a rhythmic pattern from the door.

"Shit." Gregory mumbled and stood up. "Get in here." He hissed and ushered us all to the closet.

       We all stood in the closet while he conversed in the other room.

"Come on." Maggie whispered. "We're moving."

"Why?" I hissed back.

"He's an ass who's likely to sell us out." She slowly opened the door and crept to another closet in a conjoined room.

       We heard him walk closer, talking about how he had a surprise for the men. A door swung opened and the sound of glass clinking together could be heard.

"Scotch, bourbon. All the good stuff." Gregory said in a sour voice, trying to act like it was all intentional.

       I looked at Maggie with wide eyes and she shook her head and mouthed something.

       When the noises died down and the sound of trucks driving off could be heard, we stepped out.

"Why weren't you in that closet?" He tried to play it off like he didn't do anything.

"You were gonna give us away like the coward you are." Maggie growled.

"Margaret, no! Why would I do that?"

       She rolled her eyes and walked out. I followed her all the way to her little housing situation. There sat Enid with a book in her lap.

"Hey." She said when she looked up and saw me. She stood and hugged me. "It's been a little while."