Chapter Fifteen - Jakki

Daryl laid asleep with his head in my lap. His features, which were usually stern or alert, were relaxed. A small purr of snoring came from his throat.

I continued to play with his hair, soaking up all the contact I could get with him. He was in need of a shower but I wasn't about to bother him with that.

He let out a sigh and rolled closer to me, burying his face in my stomach. While it was sudden and uncomfortable at the beginning, I sunk into the feeling and smiled down at him.

I eventually leaned back against the headboard, letting myself get comfortable. I closed my eyes, still combing my fingers through his hair and gently massaging his scalp.

Upon waking up, I found myself with my head in Daryl's lap instead of his in mine. He had his hand resting on my waist and was reading a book. I turned around under his hand and looked up at him.

He looked back at me and a small smile crept onto his lips. He reached a hand up and brushed the hair that has fallen into my face back. "Have a nice nap?"

I nodded and leaned my head into his hand. "Loved the view when I woke up."

He let out a small chuckle and marked his book before setting it down. "It seemed like you really needed it."

"Yeah, I haven't had the best time since you were gone. I could barely sleep and all that."

He looked at me and nodded a little. "Well, no more stressing over me. I'm here now."

I nodded and sat up. "Why don't you go take a shower while I make us some dinner?"

He acted like he was gonna say something but then I looked at him over my shoulder.

"Okay, okay." He got up and fished out some clean clothes from a dresser.

I got up and kissed his cheek. "I promise dinner will be good."

"It better be if I have to shower for it." He mumbled.

I grinned and shoved him to the bathroom before going to figure out dinner.

They had actual meat here, which was good. I could live without meat but I knew Daryl was a meat eater. They even had fresh fruits and vegetables, very good for me.

I decided I was going to make something with pork, potatoes, and corn. I took some pomegranate for myself later on.

I cooked the pork over the kitchenette the apartment came with. I made pan fried potatoes and boiled the corn. I made our plates and set them at the table.

Daryl came out of the shower in some pajama bottoms and a worn t shirt. "That smells good." He threw his dirty clothes in a corner.

"I hope it tastes good, too." I grabbed his hand and pulled him to the table.

He grinned as I pulled him along. He sat down in front of his plate. "This is the best looking food I have seen in a long time."

"Same here." I sat down.

I watched Daryl take a bite of the pork. "It's better than it smells."

"Good. I still got it."

"I didn't know you could actually cook." He continued eating.

"My dad had been teaching me since I was eight. My mom wasn't around to do anything." I shrugged and ate.

He nodded a little and ate. "I sometimes wish I could thank your dad." He said quietly.

"Why?"