Chapter 23

DST 2: ch 23

    I hold Drake's hand as we walk into the grocery store. We have to get some food for the cook out we are having as a little celebration for graduating. Dylan and Mason are coming too bringing little Ace with them. I sigh leaning into Drake's side slightly. He chuckles kissing the top of my head.

    "So, what do we have to get exactly?" He asks. I roll my eyes at him as I take a small step away from him.

    "We need to get the buns, burgers, and hot dogs." I say grabbing the little basket as we pass a stack of them.

    "I thought Jason was getting that?"

    "Nope. He's getting stuff for s'mores." I smile thinking of the delicious dessert.

    "You better be smiling about the s'mores and not Jason." Drake gives me a pointed look. I raise an eyebrow at him.

    "Do you really not know me?" He just chuckles wrapping both arms around me. I kiss his cheek before my eyes catch someone a few rows down. My body tenses and my heart starts to race.

    "Kitten what's wrong?" Drake whispers in my ear. Memories rush through my mind making tears sting my eyes.

    "That man... he was one of them." I can feel Drake tense before he pulls me away down one of the aisles. He holds me in front of him and looks me dead in the eyes.

    "What does he look like?" Suddenly the lights all go off. I wrap my arms around Drake scared. Over the screams of people gun shots can be heard. Drake curses quietly before putting me behind him. I feel him take out his own gun ready to shoot. He leads us out of the aisle, and head towards a safer place. We try to find our way in the dark as quietly as we can. Screams grow louder along with the cries of pain. Children cry bloody-murder making me bite my lip.

These children and their parents are in danger because of me. Drake hides me in a corner with him using himself to shield me. Footsteps come our way making me close my eyes. Even though you can't see anything it still makes me feel safer. Suddenly a voice comes on through the intercom.

"We know you're in here munchkin. You even have your big bad gang leader here to help you." Chris' voice chuckles. I shiver hearing his voice.

"Looks like we got lucky. Now we will either take you the easy way or the hard way. You get to pick." His voice sounds like the sick bastard he is. The only light I can now see is from the windows in the front of the store. I let my senses kick in, and feel my fighter instincts come through. I stand tall behind Drake my eyes snapping open. Drake is tense in front of me ready for whatever comes. Gun shots ring out making people cry and scream more. I see the back storage room close, so I grab Drake's arm and lead the way.

We need to get out of here. These people are getting hurt because of me, but I refuse to give in and let my brother take me. We will get these people help one way or another, but not by giving up. We quietly make it back there and head towards the back door. The lights in here are on, but lowly. Bullets start flying in here making us duck for cover. Drake groans as we dive behind shelves. I look to him only to see him holding his side. I bite my lip seeing red stain his hand as he puts pressure.

"Fuck." I whisper before grabbing his gun. He takes it back from me with a warning look.

"I'm fine Kitten. It'll take more than one bullet wound to put me down." He forces out through gritted teeth. He then kneels peeking his head out the side and taking shots. I hear bodies hit the floor with some groaning in pain. Someone grabs my shoulder from behind, and I automatically flip them and grip their throat. Joe's wide eyes look up at me.