Chapter 3

"How do I look?" Amira asked, putting on eyeliner.

     "You look beautiful. If you add more makeup to your face you'll look horrible." Hasna said honestly.

     "Thank you, I should leave now." Amira said and picked up her red Chanel bag. It was her favorite.

     She ended up wearing the batwing gown from xeestitches that she had bought during an eid fest in Abuja.

     She walked down to the parking lot where Hassan was standing beside a sleek white car. In her words, he looked so 'masha Allah' in the kaftan and trouser he was wearing.

     The way he stood with his arms crossed made Amira a little nervous as she walked towards him. He let his hands drop to the side as a smile took over his face.

     "Hey." Amira whispered.

     "You should say assalam mu alaikum." He smiled at her.

     "Assalam mu alaikum, Hassan." She returned his smile, visibly relaxing her tensed shoulders.

     "Wa alaikum mu salam." he answered, looking at her dress. "You look nice."

     "Thank you." She blushed, looking down.

     He looked at her in amusement before clearing his throat. "My eyes are up here." He chuckled.

     Amira looked up at him and gave him a small smile.

     "Uh, let's sit in the car. The sun's kind of hot." he said, then walked around to open her door for her.

     If she had butterflies swarming her tummy before, then this feeling couldn't be described as that. A whole lot of fireworks exploded inside of Amira as she sat in the front seat of the overly priced car.

     He turned to the other side and took a seat. Putting his keys in the ignition, he turned on the AC then looked at Amira.

     "Do you know any nice place we can eat? I haven't had lunch."

     "Um, there aren't many nice places in Zaria but we can go to chicken republic." she answered.

     "Sure, just show me the way." he said, then pulled out of the parking lot.

     Amira was screaming internally and mentally scolding herself. She should have just told him to try the new eatery that was opened a few days back but it skipped her mind.

     "Where will you stay while in Zaria?" she asked him when she finally calmed down in her head.

     "I booked a room at Emerald suites or so. You know where that is yeah?" he replied.

     "Yes, it's actually on the way to chicken republic." she said.

     "Right." He nodded.

     Some minutes after, they pulled up at the front of chicken republic. Amira got down before he could open her door for her again because the place looked quite crowded.

     "Good afternoon Sir, welcome to chicken republic." The security at the door greeted as they walked in.

     Hassan gave him an acknowledging nod and found a spot for them. It was a table for two at the extreme of the room. After reserving the table, they walked to the counter to give their orders. Amira ordered for chicken and chips while Hassan took a plate of fried rice and chicken. They got drinks too and some salad.

     "How much is it?" Hassan asked the waitress.

     "Four thousand naira Sir." she replied.

     Before he could bring out his wallet, Amira slid the money towards the waitress.

     "I got it." She smiled at Hassan.

     "I'm the man here." he said, holding his card in his hand.

     "So? I promised to treat you when you come to Zaria so this is me treating you to lunch." She winked.

     "Ami-"

"It's fine, let's go to our spot." she cut him off, smiling at him.

     He returned the smile and walked behind her to their table.

     "You know, you didn't have to do that." he said seriously.

     "But I did, just enjoy your food Hassan." She smiled again.

     He nodded and dug into the food. Amira watched as he took every bite, wondering how someone could be so perfect.

     "What's on your mind?" He interrupted her thoughts.

     She shook her head and picked up a piece of fry, dipped it in ketchup and ate.

     They ate in a comfortable silence and when they were done, she showed him his hotel before he drove back to the campus.

     "Thanks for the lunch." Amira said.

     "That you paid for, you mean?" He raised a brow.

     "You took me out, so thanks." She smiled.

     "You're something else." He shook his head.

     "I got your chocolates, pizza and always." He frowned when he said 'always'.

     "Why are you frowning?" Amira giggled, knowing why.

     "It was weird picking the pads from the racks and this lady kept giving me a look I couldn't decipher. Then the cashier actually asked why I bought a lot of pads." he said, cringing at the memory.

     Amira fell into a fit of laughter.

     "Seriously? Oh my God, what I'd give to be there." she said after sobering up.

     "It's not funny." He glared at her playfully.

     "Sorry sorry." She hiccupped, then burst out laughing again.

     Hassan just stayed there, looking at the girl that was shy to even look at him not long ago.
Amira stopped laughing and looked at him.

     "Sorry, I probably sounded like a dying seal."

     "That, you sounded like." He chuckled.

     "Thanks, really." she said seriously.

     "It's okay, here." he said, bringing out the box of pizza, a disposable bag that contained pads and a gift box.

     She collected them from him and got down.

     "I'll see you tomorrow, if you're not busy." he said.

     "Sure, bye." She smiled at him.

     "Bye."