Chapter 16

Amira spent the rest of the evening up in her bedroom with her phone on her night stand. She had several missed calls from Zulaihat and Hassan but she wasn't planning on returning any of the calls. Her mum had asked her what happened and she lied she was shaken from the movie, so her mum let her rest.

     Their maid had brought dinner up to her room but she didn't touch it. The nice smell of baked potatoes filled her nostrils but instead of satisfying her, it made her feel nauseous. She felt dirty after everything Hassan did earlier. He hadn't raped her but the thought of him raping her made her shiver. She got up and walked begrudgingly into her bathroom and turned on the shower, then sat on the floor.

     Slowly, her tears rolled down and afterwards turned into heavy sobs. She hugged her knees tightly as the water ran down her body and mixed with her tears. "Why Hassan? Why?"

     She got up and turned off the shower, then dried herself and put on her night dress. Before going to sleep, a message came in on her phone.

     'I'm really sorry Amira. I promise never to hurt you again, please forgive me. I know you don't want to talk to me but it's fine. You can stay mad at me but while you're at it, don't give my love to someone else. I'm sorry and I love you. Good night.' - Hassan.

     Tears welled up in her eyes again and she switched off the phone before throwing it somewhere. After sobbing into her pillow, she fell asleep and had a bad dream.

     She ran around the house with a bowl of ice cream in her hand while her mum chased after her.

     "That's enough sugar for today Amira." her mum yelled, running after her.

     "Leave me alone mum, I want ice cream."

     Her mum caught her and pinned her against the chair. Suddenly, her face turned into Hassan's face with an evil smirk drawn across his lips.

     "Hassan please, don't do this!" she cried.

     He ripped off her dress and was about to penetrate her when...

     Amira jerked up from sleep with beads of sweat running down her face. She hugged her blanket closer to her body and began sobbing again. After a while, she switched on her phone to check the time. It was 3:15am and she had loads of messages from Zulaihat.

     'Amira are you home yet?

     Why aren't you picking your calls?

     Did Hassan hurt you?

     I'm really sorry, this is all my fault. I shouldn't have asked him to come.

     Please pick up the phone.

     I'm worried about you.

     If you don't pick up, I'll have to call your mum.

     Amira?' - Zulaihat.

     Amira ignored all the messages and texted Hasna.

     'Hey girl, can't sleep. Are you up?' - Amira.

     There was no reply so she tossed her phone aside and laid back down, staring at the stars that glowed on her ceiling. Even though she was all grown up, she loved her some glow in the dark stickers.

     A while later she fell asleep again and when she eventually woke up, it was twelve in the afternoon. She looked at her nightstand and saw a new tray of food. The previous one had been taken away. She sighed and got up to clean herself up. When she was okay, she ate all of the food and went downstairs for more.

     Her mum had already left the house so it was just her and the maid. The maid gave her some more food and she smiled thankfully at her then headed upstairs.

     When she was through with her food, she decided to reply her messages. She texted Zulaihat first before every other person.

     'Hey Zulaihat, you didn't have to send so many messages. I'm totally fine, how are you? Sorry about yesterday and how's Aasim? I saw the way he was looking at you. Whatever it is, be careful. Boys ain't shit.' - Amira.

     After sending in the reply, she opened Hassan's messages since she had only seen the last one the previous night.

     'Hey babe, I'm really sorry.

     Amira?? Please answer me. You can't keep ignoring me.

     I know I was wrong but I'm a fucking jealous person.

     It won't repeat itself again, please just say something.

     Okay, I'm calling your phone.

     Why aren't you answering? You can't do this Amira. I love you so much.

     Please talk to me.

     You know what? I'm coming to your home tomorrow.

     Amira???

     Please talk to me.

     I'm really sorry Amira. I promise never to hurt you again, please forgive me. I know you don't want to talk to me but it's fine. You can stay mad at me but while you're at it, don't give my love to someone else. I'm sorry and I love you. Good night.' - Hassan.

     Amira could feel tears brimming in her eyes again but she wiped them off and replied Hassan.

     'If I say I'm not hurt, I'm lying Hassan. I understand that you were jealous and protective of me but that was too far. Firstly, you embarrassed me at the movies when you dragged me all the way to your car and you got angry for no reason. I was trying to justify your actions because I love you but no, you're a beast Hassan. A monster! You forcefully took away my first kiss. I wanted my first kiss to be special but no! You just had to do that. And touching my body in that manner was too far Hassan. You could've raped me. How then will I live with myself? How will you live with yourself? To be very honest Hassan, I won't give you the chance to repeat such a thing. No, I won't break up with you because I don't want to have to explain everything to my family and yes, I'll still get married to you but you will have to keep your distance. We will be husband and wife to the public but strangers at home so you have the choice to either go ahead with the wedding or cancel it. And thank you Hassan, your face haunts my once pleasant dreams. Good morning.' - Amira.