Chapter 8

It was the day of the wedding that Hassan had invited Amira to. Her dress was really beautiful and Hassan had paid ten thousand just to get it done as soon as possible.

     His parents arrived Zaria the night before and were currently in their hotel room getting ready for the wedding.

     His mum, Hajia Bilkis Aliyu had expensive gold jewelry clasped around her neck and wrists. She spelled wealth as she looked at herself in the mirror. Her husband wore a regular baban riga and a cap over his grey hair.

     Hassan on the other hand was clad in a kaftan as usual. When he was ready, he drove over to the main campus to pick Amira up.

     "You look beautiful." he said, the moment she stepped into his car.

     With a smile on her face, she replied, "Thank you, you look good too."

     "Ready to meet the parents?"

     "What?" Amira's eyes widened as he pulled out of the parking lot.

     "Ready to meet my parents?"

     "Uh...sure? Yeah, sure!" She nodded nervously.

     "They'll love you."

     "I hope so."

***

     Hassan's parents were still at their hotel room and didn't bother to leave for the wedding ceremony since it was taking place at the hotel's hall.

     Hassan pulled up into the parking lot, got down and helped Amira out of the car. With her hand in his, he led her to the room. Amira's palm was quite sweaty and Hassan squeezed it in assurance.

     "Don't be nervous." he whispered, then knocked on the door.

     Immediately the door opened, Hajia Bilkis' eyes landed on Amira and her eyes darted to their intertwined fingers. Amira pulled her palm away and stood straight, smiling awkwardly.

     "Good afternoon ma." she greeted nervously.

     "Afternoon my dear. Do you happen to be Hassan's girlfriend? I mean, it's high time he got married." she said nonchalantly, sending a devilish look towards Hassan.

     He cleared his throat and asked, "Can we come in?"

     "Sure, come in."

     She stepped aside and let the young couple in.

     "Assalamu alaikum baba." Hassan greeted his father.

     "Wa alaikumu salam."

     Amira greeted him and stood awkwardly beside Hassan.

     "So what's your name?" Hajia Bilkis asked, suddenly appearing beside Amira.

     "I'm Amira Nuhu."

     "Beautiful name, please sit."

     Amira sat upright with her palms placed on her thighs.

     "Relax, we don't bite." Hajia Bilkis chuckled.

     Amira's shoulders relaxed a little and she smiled at Hajia Bilkis.

     "So, tell me about yourself."

     "Mum, another time. We have a wedding to attend."

     "Shut up! I was talking to Amira." She glared at Hassan and turned to Amira with a smile.

     "As we were saying before that man over there rudely interrupted."