Chapter 28

When they got to Amira's house, Hassan remembered the box of stuff he got her from Australia so he opened his trunk and brought out the box.

     "What is this?" Amira asked as he rolled it towards the front door.

     Hassan smiled and unlocked the door before answering. "I got it for you. You didn't expect me to come back without gifts, did you?"

     Amira shook her head, "I was going to ask you about that later, and trust me when I say this, I would've murdered you if you didn't get me anything."

     Hassan chuckled and held the door open for her. She walked into the living room with him trailing behind her. "Should I help you take the box up to your room?"

     "Yes, thank you."

     Hassan sat on her bed and watched her open the box with a smile plastered on his face. Her face lit up when she took the first gift out. It was a paper bag from Chanel with one n°5 limited edition and a chance eau tendre. "You didn't fucking get me these, did you?" she asked excitedly.

     "Of course I didn't, give it to charity." Hassan joked. She smacked his arm and went ahead to check the next bag. It was a pair of red bottoms pumps from Christian LouBoutin. She tried it on and it fit perfectly. "How did you even know my size?"

     "I asked Zulaihat."

     She put the shoes back in the carton and took out the next bag. It was a Chanel shoulder bag. "This is beautiful babe." she said while checking the bag out. "I can only buy the best things for the best girl in the world."

     Amira looked away, trying to hide the blush that was creeping up her cheeks.

     "You know, you don't have to hide." Hassan teased and got up to stand beside her. He picked up a carton and handed it to her. "I guess this would be your favourite gift."

     She took it and removed the first carton, exposing an iPhone Xs max. "Are you fucking kidding me right now? I love you so much!" She jumped on him and wrapped her legs around him.

     He chuckled and held her firmly in his arms. "Babe chill, it's just a phone."

     "Of course it is!" She rolled her eyes and got down. "But then, I can't accept this."

     "Why not?"

     "My mum would literally kill me. The phone is way too expensive, I'm sure it can buy a plot of land in one village." Amira shook her head.

     "It's not like a random guy got you the phone anyway! I'm your husband to be." He shrugged.

     "But..." He placed a finger on her lips and smiled at her. "No buts."

     She sighed and kept the phone on her dresser, then opened the remaining bags. They were all clothes from different designers and she loved every one of them.

     "Thank you for all the gifts you got me, I couldn't even get you a lot of stuff." She pouted.

     "It's fine babe, anything for you."

     Amira smiled and put everything back in the box, then kept it at a corner of her room. She placed the iPhone in the drawer under her mirror and plugged in her iPhone 7 plus to the charger. She didn't know what her mum would say about the new iPhone but she really hoped her mum would be cool with it. As she went to sit beside Hassan, he got up.

     "I really have to go now, I'll see you tomorrow."

     Amira nodded and walked him outside to his car. When his car disappeared outside the gate, she went back to her room and arranged all the things he got her. She kept the clothes neatly in her wardrobe and arranged the perfumes on her dresser. After arranging them she ate a bowl of cereal, prayed and then went to sleep.

***

     Hassan was talking to a lady over mini burgers and monster shakes at Larusha's Treats, The Capital Hub. He had a sour look on his face and all of a sudden didn't feel like eating. "Why are you even here in Nigeria?"

     "Why? Of course I shouldn't be here, I should spend my whole life in Australia and even die there."

     "Alright Alicia, you really should watch the way you speak to me. You were my cleaner and that's all."

     Rage burned in her eyes as she glared at him. "Of course I was your cleaner! But before you continue, remember I agreed to help with your chores not because I was broke but because I felt you'll need good African food."

     Hassan glared back at her and shook his head in annoyance. "Wow thanks! You succeeded in feeding me good African food. What now?"

     "Are you serious Hassan? You can't talk to me like-" She got cut off by the sound of his phone ringing.

     "Hello?" he answered.

     The line was silent at the other end so he repeated himself. "Hello?"

     "Ah yeah! Is this Hassan?"

     "Yes this is Hassan, how may I help you?"

     "I'm sorry to bother you but you have a package at our office. Would you like to pick it up now or tomorrow morning?"

     Hassan looked at his watch and it was some minutes to seven. "Yes, I'll be there. Just send the address to me."

     He hung up and dropped some cash on the table. "Pay the bills and can keep the change."

     With that, he left Alicia sitting down with her mouth wide open. She felt disrespected and got up angrily to leave, leaving the money on the table. A waiter packed the untouched burgers and money and took them to the kitchen.

     "Hassan!" she yelled, catching up with him and grabbing his arm.

     He pushed her away and glared at her, "Don't you dare touch me or I'll forget you're a lady and slap you hard across the face."

     "Right! Go ahead and slap the woman carrying your child!"