Chapter 19

The sound of Amira's ringtone made her jerk up from the steering wheel. She quickly checked the time and saw that it was a little after 3:00pm already. She picked up her phone and grumbled into it.

     "Hello?"

     "Where on earth are you Amira? Come to this house before 4:00pm or you'll sleep outside." Her mother's angry voice filled her ears.

     She groaned and mumbled an okay before pulling out of the parking lot. She drove straight home with thoughts of Hassan swimming in her mind. She missed him already and she wasn't sure she'd survive one year without seeing him.

     When she got home, she met her mother tapping her foot impatiently by the door. When she opened her mouth to greet her, she was welcomed with a slap. She stumbled back with her palm on her cheek.

     "Mum?" She sniffed.

     "Kneel down there!" her mum barked.

     Amira was shocked at her mum's reaction but knelt down anyway. Didn't she say she was booking a flight for her?

     "Firstly, who gave you the permission to drive a car? Are you stupid? What have I told you about driving? If you want to go anywhere, go with the driver."

     "But I didn't see-"

     "Shut up! Don't talk while I'm talking." Amira nodded and listened to her mum.

     "So what were you thinking? That I'd book a flight for you to travel with Hassan? You're forgetting we are Nigerians. And what were you thinking making a scene at the airport? Here, look at this!" She shoved her phone in Amira's face.

     Amira looked at the video that was trending on twitter and Instagram and her face immediately fell.

     Young girl fights for the love of her life.

     Teenager spotted at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport acting all lovey dovey towards Hassan, son of Multibillionaire.

     She read the comments underneath and immediately started to cry.

     Shameless girl.

     Her mum couldn't even raise her well?

     Such a stupid girl!

     Instead of facing your books, you're chasing a man.

     How are you sure they aren't already sleeping together?

     Amira tossed the phone aside and looked up at her mum.

     "Mu-"

     "Just shut up! I hope you're happy now. You have decided to tarnish our image Amira. What have we not given you?"

     "I'm sorry mum."

     "Just leave, go upstairs to your room and don't come down for the rest of the day. Also, you're grounded. You won't leave this house until I say so."

     With that, her mother stormed upstairs. If her mother reacted that way, she wondered what her father would say. Their maid hurried to console her immediately her mum went upstairs.

     "Don't cry Amira, everything will be fine soon."

     Amira sniffed and nodded her head before going up to her room. She had a message from Hassan since 1:30pm stating that he had landed in Lagos and was waiting for his flight to Melbourne.

     She looked at her phone for a while as if contemplating on something. Having made up her mind, she face timed him.

     His smiling face popped up on the screen and was immediately replaced by a frown when he saw her face.

     "What the hell happened to you?" he asked.

     Amira sighed and explained everything that happened with her mum and the internet. Hassan shook his head and comforted her. Soon, she stopped crying and was laughing at a joke he told her.

     "You're so funny Hassan!"

     "I know I know!" He replied, giving her a goofy grin.

     "Shut up!"

     "Make me." He cocked a brow in amusement.

     She hung up on the call and started laughing. She knew he wasn't expecting her to actually hang up. Her screen lit up with an incoming call from him.

     "Hello mi amor." She smiled sweetly, like she hadn't just hung up on him a minute ago.

    B"Hey sugar." He returned her smile.

     "So tell me... When did you apply for a course and what course is that?" She asked him.

     "Uh- physiology, sorry, psychology." he stuttered.

     Amira looked at him suspiciously. "What are you hiding?"

     "Nothing. Why?"

     "You never stutter, dimwit!"

     "Um, oh!" He chuckled.

     "Can I call you back? I need to attend to an important call." he added quickly.

     "Whose call could be more important tha-" Before she finished, he had hung up.

     She glared at the screen and flung the phone aside.

     "That asshole!" She hissed and picked the phone again.

     Her phone was blowing up with notifications from all her social media accounts.

     Girl! What you did was so romantic, don't mind the negative comments.

     True, a lot of them are just pained they don't have a love life.

       Hassan is so fucking hot. How did you get him? Teach me the way sis.

     Amira frowned. How did they get her handle? She shook her head because it was Instagram and a lot of people probably knew her so they tagged her. She turned off the comments on her page and turned her account into a private one. She wasn't ready to deal with the comments and somehow, she had become more popular. Her followers increased by about three thousand more people and she smiled. At least she gained something from her madness.

     After a while, Hassan called her. She picked up and glared at him.

     "Hey hey, don't give me that look." Hassan smiled, sipping a soda.

     "What look?" She rolled her eyes.

     "Don't roll your eyes at me babe. They're way too small to even roll." He laughed, pointing at her eyes.

     "I hate you Hassan!"

     "I love you Amira!"

     "I hate you!"

     "love you!"

     She pouted at the screen and he blew a kiss at her. "I'm really sorry about the other day." He suddenly became serious.

     "It's fine, but I was really hurt." she replied.

     "I know, I promise never to hurt you again."

     She smiled and muttered an I love you.

     "I love you too babe, I'll make sure to call you when I'm in Australia."

     She nodded and blew him a kiss. "Bye."