Chapter 34

"How do I look in this lingerie?"

   The hall became quiet as they looked to see who the voice belonged to. Hassan was sitting shirtless with sweatpants hanging dangerously below his torso. The mocktail he was holding dropped with a splash. Amira sat frozen in place, eyes glued to the screen.

   "You look sexy." Hassan smirked. Amira couldn't remember them ever being in this situation and the voice was definitely not hers.

   Alicia, the girl that claimed to carry Hassan's child walked seductively to the bed and pushed Hassan down using her index finger.

   "What would you like for dinner? Anything chilled?" She stared intently into his eyes. "Or something hot?" She trailed her finger down his torso and stopped at the waistband of his sweatpants.

   "How about both?" He smirked and turned her over so that he was now laying on top. Alicia gasped and dug her nails into his back. "Naughty naughty boy!"

   "Turn this thing off!" Hassan's father finally shouted.

   "No, I'd like to see what happens next." Amira said, not tearing her eyes from the screen. She wanted to believe her eyes were playing tricks on her. Hassan reached out to touch her but she scooted away from him.

   The screen changed into the scene where Alicia was completely naked on top of Hassan. Hassan's father put the video off himself and gave Hassan a hot slap. "What exactly is this?" he asked angrily. Hassan avoided his gaze and turned to Amira who had a calm look in her eyes.

   "Why did you do this?" she asked calmly.

   Hassan stuttered, trying to find the right words to speak but nothing was coming out. "I... I-"

   "Why did you do it Hassan?" she asked again.

   "I'm sorry Amira, I didn't mean to and it was just once. I felt horrible after it and I swear we don't talk anymore." he explained, trying to take her hand in his.

     Both parents didn't know what to say as the scene before them unfolded and the guests had their phones up recording the whole thing.

   Amira looked at Hassan, trying not to burst into tears. He was someone she had grown to love so much and she didn't know whether or not to break up the engagement or go on with it. She reminisced about all the times they spent together and her head was filled with beautiful memories. Could she let all of that go because of one mistake? She knew nobody was perfect but was she willing to look past it and continue with the ceremony?

   "Please say something, your silence is killing me." Hassan said vulnerably.

   Amira stayed quiet for a very long time before answering. "What can I say? You've hurt me so deeply Hassan."

   "I know and I'm sorry. Please forgive me Amira, I can't live without you." he pleaded.

   "I'm afraid you may have to die because now you'll have to live without me." she said and got up.

   "What are you saying babe? Please don't do this." Hassan held her hand, not wanting to let go.

   Amira swatted his hand away and took off the ring he had worn on her finger moments ago.

   "You should wear this on the girl you cheated on me with." She pushed it into his hands and turned to leave the hall.

   "Amira wait!" Hassan called after her and ran to catch up with her.

   "Let go." she hissed.

   "Is it really worth it? You're going to forget everything we've shared just because of one mistake I made?"

   Amira pulled her hand away and slapped him hard across the face. "I've been calm to avoid hitting you but now you've pushed me."

   "You can hit me as much as you like but please don't do this. Think of all we've been through. How you pretended to go home drunk every night so that your father would agree to the marriage. You can't let all your efforts go into the drain like this Amira."

   "What?" Amira's father walked over to them and turned Amira to face him. "What is this I'm hearing?"

   "I'm sorry father. I never came home drunk. I would never do anything you don't like. All the times I reeked of alcohol and cigarettes, I didn't actually smoke. I had sprinkled some alcohol on my clothes and burned a cigarette close to me. I never went to clubs too and the different cars that came to pick me up weren't random guys. Hassan picked me up every time and dropped me at his parents house." she answered.

   "I'm speechless." her father shook his head.

   "I'm really sorry dad, I just wanted to get married to Hassan. I thought if I pretended to fall into sin, then you'll get me married."

   "You wanted to get married to Hassan right? You'll get married to him." her father said.

   "What are you saying dad?" Amira asked.

   "Put the ring back on her finger." he said to Hassan. Hassan was confused as to why her father would still want her to get married to him.

   "Sir?"

   "You heard me, put it on."

   Amira retreated her hand and shook her head. "I can't get married to this man."

   "He isn't just any man. He is Hassan, your Hassan." Her father chuckled. "Go ahead son, put the ring on. People make mistakes and she'll get over it."

   "Don't do this to me dad." Amira shook her head, tears brimming in her eyes.

   "You have no other choice but to marry him. If you refuse this marriage, then you're no longer welcome to step foot in my house. If I were you, I'll marry him so that I have a place to live and still be welcomed at my parent's house."

   "Dad..."

   He took her hand and placed it in Hassan's hand. "Go ahead, put it on."

   Hassan slid the ring back on her finger and she looked away. The engagement came to an end and Amira's father told the guests to make sure to attend the wedding dinner the next day.

   When they got home, Amira locked herself up in her room and refused to go out. The next day, they had to force the door open to get her ready for her wedding dinner and after the wedding, she was dropped off at Hassan's house against her will. She spent the whole night sobbing in her new home. That wasn't what she expected her wedding night to be like. She expected it to be magical with rose petals on the bed in a dim room with the only lights coming from scented candles but what did she get?

     Heartbreak and misery.