Chapter 23

Amira refused to sit with her mum at the back seat because of how angry she looked. After their driver asked her a stupid question, she thought her mum would flip but instead, her mum gave him a death glare.

     "Madam, should I book another flight for you for tomorrow? I don't think this one will crash."

     Amira's mother hissed and asked him to stop the car. When he did, she pointed for him to get out.

     "Ma-"

     "Get out of my car!"

     She snatched the keys from his hand and got into the driver's seat. "Make sure you get home before I do or you'll lose your job." With that, she zoomed off.

     The driver looked around helplessly before stopping a taxi. Without wasting time, he jumped into the taxi and told the driver to just go.

     "Where are you going?"

     "Fourth avenue, please you need to hurry or I'll lose my job."

     The driver nodded and stepped hard on the accelerator. In no time, they were in gwarinpa. He paid the taxi driver and ran to the gate of their overly priced duplex. He sighed as he knocked on the gate, there was no way his boss would be back.

     The gate swung open and he froze. Standing in front of him was Amira's mum with her hands on her waist.

     "I'm sorry madam, I pro-"

     "Just shut up and get inside. The next time you ask me stupid questions, I'll fire you."

     "Thank you ma."

     She ignored him and went into the house.

***

     Hassan was sprawled on his bed eating breakfast. He had ordered a large paper bag of chicken and chips and a bottle of coke. He had his phone in one hand while he used the other hand to eat. His thumb swiped across the screen until it landed on Amira. He put it on video call and waited for her to pick up.

     "Hey!" Her excited face popped up on the screen.

     "Babe, what's up?" He smiled at her as he dipped a chip in ketchup.

     "Nothing much, I just miss you and you don't even call me like you used to." She pouted.

     Hassan smiled at her and popped the chip in his mouth. "I'm just really busy here, I'm sorry. And you know, the time difference. I wouldn't want to call when you're asleep."

     "It's okay, how's everything going over there?" Amira placed her phone on the head of her bed and propped herself up using her elbows.

     "Good, I guess I'll hire a maid to do the cooking and cleaning."

     Amira frowned at what he said. She wouldn't want another woman cooking for her husband to be and she didn't want any stories that touched.

     "Why are you quiet?" He raised a brow.

     Amira chuckled awkwardly and shook her head. "Nothing, it's fine. I mean, you wouldn't be able to do the cooking and cleaning yourself."

     "Yeah that's right. So, what were you doing before I called?"

     "Nothing really, just laying in bed. I had a long day." She laughed at the memory.

     "Tell me about it." Hassan sat upright, then took a sip from his coke.

     "Well, yesterday we were on our way to the village and the road was really bad so we had to come back to Abuja. Mum being mum decided to book a flight for today and guess what? We missed the flight all thanks to me."

     Hassan chuckled and shook his head. "Typical Amira, you waste a lot of time doing nothing."

     "That's not all, the plane we were supposed to enter crashed."

     "SubhanAllah! That's really sad, but I'm glad you missed the flight."

     "I know, mum was so mad. And when the driver asked if he should book another flight, my mum got angry and threw him out of the car. It was so funny but I couldn't laugh."

     Hassan smiled and sipped from his coke again. "I'm honestly happy you didn't go. I can't imagine my life without you in it."

     "I know, I can't imagine leaving you alone in this world either." She smiled and turned on her MP3 player.

     "Want to see me dance?"

     Hassan nodded and told her to go ahead.

     "Okay don't laugh. You know I'm horrible at dancing but I was learning that zanku dance." Amira said seriously as she got up.

"You haven't finished learning simple shaku shaku, it's Zanku you want to learn." Hassan made fun of her and she pouted.

     The music started playing and she tried doing the leg work first. Hassan burst out laughing. "Amira please don't ever do that in public."

     "Hey shut up! I may not know how to dance to Nigerian songs but trust me, I'm good at jujuing on that beat." She smirked and changed the song to Juju On That Beat.

     Hassan watched as she perfectly did all the steps in the song and when it got to the part where she was to do her dance, he was shocked at how good she was.

     "Oh my God Amira! You're amazing!" He clapped and sat even straighter.

     "That's not all, watch me do the Kiki challenge."

     She switched the song to 'In My Feelings' and started dancing again. She made her fingers into a heart shape as Drake asked if Kiki loved him, and then she pretended to drive an imaginary car.

     Hassan smiled all through her dance and when she was through with the Kiki challenge, she decided to do one last dance for him.

     "Guess what song I'll be dancing to." She smirked.

     "I don't know, probably uproar?" Hassan guessed.

     "Nahin, I'm dancing to my baby's song."

     She switched to Burna Boy's On The Low and winked at him.

     "You love this song too much babe, I don't get why you like it."

     "Are you serious? Well what do you know? Nothing!" She joked and stood in front of the phone.

     When she was done dancing, Hassan was still in a daze.

     "Hello!" She waved her hand and he shook his head with a smile playing on his lips.

     "I thought you couldn't dance to Nigerian songs."

     "Well this isn't your regular Nigerian song, this is Burrrrrrrrna!" She winked and laid back down on the bed.

     Hassan's second phone started ringing so he checked the screen and turned back to Amira.
"Can I call you back?"

     She nodded and he hung up the phone. Amira smiled at the screen and sighed. She really did miss Hassan and wished he could come back earlier.