Chapter 17

Hassan's phone beeped and he picked it up to see a lengthy message from Amira. He had a blank expression on his face all the while until he got to the part where she said they'd be total strangers. He furrowed his eyebrows and threw his phone across the room. Just what the hell was she thinking? He knew he was wrong and had apologized to her but this? He wasn't having it. He picked up his phone and typed swiftly on it.

     'What are you saying Amira? You'll get married to me and we'll be total strangers? Lmao. I know you're angry and all but I am sorry and I have apologized already. What I did was wrong, I didn't deny it. You should understand my reason by now, I'm sorry. Can we start again? Forgive me and pretend yesterday never happened. I'm sorry, my love. I love you.' - Hassan.

     Amira's screen lit up and she immediately picked it up to check the message. She frowned as she read the part where he was actually laughing his ass off. Did he take her as a joke? She replied his message instantly.

     'Hassan! What do you take me for? You're actually laughing at me. Are you indirectly calling me stupid or senseless? So all I said made no sense yeah? Pfft.' - Amira.

     Hassan shook his head when he read her reply. Of all things to be worried about, she was worried about the part where he laughed. A smile crept on his lips and he texted her again.

     'I'm really sorry baby. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.' - Hassan.

     She tried so hard to stay mad at him but she couldn't. Reminiscing all the fun times they had together, she just couldn't bring herself to be mad for that one mistake. He made a mistake, so did everyone else. No one was perfect. She smiled and replied his message.

     'Idiot! I don't forgive you just yet, you'll have to work really hard to earn my forgiveness. Don't think you can bribe me with cold stone, I'll buy if I want to. And yes, your punishment is this. I wouldn't speak to you or hang out with you for two weeks. If I do, I'll never be alone with you because you're not to be trusted. Who knows what will happen? Good luck earning my forgiveness.' - Amira.

     He felt hurt when she said she couldn't trust him. One thing he knew was that trust was like glass. Once broken, it could never be fixed and even when it did got fixed, you could still see the cracks. He sighed, knowing he had to earn her trust back. He regretted his actions and made a mental note to see a therapist regarding his anger issues. After contemplating for a long time, he replied her.

     'I'll do everything possible to earn not just your forgiveness but your trust mi amor. I'm deeply sorry.' - Hassan.

     Amira smiled and left him on read. After putting her phone away, she had her bath and dressed up in a nice abaya. Where was she going? She had no idea. After thinking for a very long while, she went downstairs and asked her maid to take photos of her. When it came to taking photos, her maid was just the perfect person. Amira had taught her all the right angles to take pictures from and even how to take pictures in the direction of the sun.

     When she was satisfied with the pictures, she sent the maid inside and walked to the garden at the back to play on the swing. She wanted a slide too but her father told her off and called her an overgrown baby. She pouted when she remembered the event and slowly sat on the swing, swinging herself up and down.

     About ten minutes into her swing, a knock came on the gate and the gateman rushed to get it. After some minutes, he came to the garden with Hassan. Amira opened her mouth to talk but closed it and signalled for the gateman to leave.

     When he left, she turned to Hassan. "Why are you here?"

     "I came to see my baby." He smiled cheekily.

     Amira rolled her eyes and got off the swing. "I told you I wouldn't talk to you or see you for two weeks, so why are you here?"

     "But you're talking to me, and you're seeing me." He smirked playfully.

     Amira held the urge to smile and glared at him. "Leave Hassan!" She pointed towards the gate.

     He raised a brow and looked at her in amusement. "Really? Do you want me to go?"

     "Get out of my house Hassan!"

     "Okay, I'll go." He grinned, turning to leave but stopped as though he remembered something. He pulled out an envelope from his pocket and handed it to her. "Go through this when you're free."

     Without waiting for a response, he turned to leave. She watched as his back disappeared into the corner and when she was sure he had gone, she sat back down on the swing and opened the envelope. It contained two papers in it.

     University of Queensland, Australia.

Dear Hassan,
We are glad to announce to you that your application to take a one year course in the UQA has been accepted and you are required to submit your documents personally on or before 02/12/2018 or admission will be forfeited. Thank you for choosing UQA.

     Amira looked at the letter in confusion. He was leaving Nigeria before Monday and he couldn't tell her. Not only that, he'd had the letter for a while so he definitely had his plane booked. She felt a sudden surge of anger run through her veins and she squeezed the paper and threw it in the bin.

     She opened the second paper and saw a photocopy of his flight details.

     Flight number 002 British Airways.

     Los to Mel, Wednesday 28/11/2018

     Time of departure: 8:00pm

     Time of arrival: 7:35pm

     Seat number: 34C