Chapter 33

Amira's father had spoken to Hassan's parents and they agreed on a date for the marriage. Amira was overly excited about everything and made sure to buy the most expensive things for her wedding. Hassan's family had brought a set of boxes as part of their tradition. The smallest box contained different designs of gold jewelry. The other boxes contained laces, wrappers and other things. Everything they bought was expensive.

     Amira's mum ordered a wedding gown that cost almost eight hundred thousand naira and matching shoes and a purse. They even opened an Instagram page for their pre-wedding photos and tagged Bellanaija weddings. Soon, their pictures were all over every blogger's page on Instagram. That was what Amira wanted, for her wedding to be the talk of the town. It was the day of their engagement and Amira couldn't contain her excitement.

     They had hired En Vogue Signature Events to decorate the halls. The woman surely knew how to bring glamour to bare spaces.

     The hall was beautifully decorated with flowers and purple neon lights glowed everywhere

     The hall was beautifully decorated with flowers and purple neon lights glowed everywhere. The engagement cake wasn't something too fancy, but it was beautiful and matched the theme for the engagement party.

     It was a three tiered purple cream cake that stood on a chariot stand. Everything was perfect. If they had done all that just for an engagement party, only the Lord knew what the wedding would be like.

     Amira was in her room where Hanifa Glamour did her makeup. She looked extraordinarily beautiful with her nude makeup and silver gown. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. Even she knew she looked beautiful. Her mother was very excited and Amira started to wonder who was having an engagement— she or her mum.

     Hassan was getting ready at home too and he looked as handsome as ever. The guests had started arriving at the venue and at around 4:00pm, the hall was filled with people. Amira and Hassan arrived thirty minutes after and took their seats on the loveseat on the stage.

     "What do you think about the decoration?" Amira smiled.

     "Really beautiful, but girly if you ask me." He chuckled.

     "Shut up!" She joked and nudged his arm.

     The ceremony started with a performance by DMW crew. Amira was a huge fan of Davido and she didn't expect her parents to actually invite him to perform. She was so excited that she almost jumped off of her seat to crush Davido into a hug. A lot of people, mostly the young girls had their phones out recording the whole thing for their Snapchat and Instagram. Some even went as far as starting live videos on Instagram. After the performance, Amira and Hassan took pictures with the crew and allowed the guests to take pictures too. After another performance by the native Nupe people, the guests were served food.

    They had a lot to eat and drink, with one whole chicken divided among four people. The tables took eight people so each table had two full roasted chickens, a plate of small chops, a bowl of Irish potato curry, fried rice, jollof rice, salad and moimoi. Different exotic drinks and water were also arranged on the tables.

     Instagram was blowing up with the hashtag #Hasra2019. Pictures of them, pictures of the guests, videos, pictures of food, everything could be found on the hashtag.

     After eating, Amira and Hassan were asked to dance.

     Perfect by Ed Sheeran which was played at every single Nigerian wedding came on and Hassan held her in his arms. They swayed gently to the beat of the music. Amira couldn't help but smile as she looked into Hassan's eyes.

     When the chorus came, the fireworks that the event planner set up began to explode. The view was magical. It looked like a scene out of a fairy tale and Amira chuckled. Hassan spun her around and drew her back into his arms. She rested her palm on his chest and smiled at him. She was smiling too much because she'd finally have her happily ever after. When the song came to an end, they went to the cake stand to cut the cake.

     Hassan took a piece and fed Amira who in turn fed him back. The hall was filled with cheers and camera flashes. The time came for them to exchange the rings so that the ceremony could end.

     A little boy and girl walked up to the stage with two velvet boxes in their hands and handed them to the couple. Hassan opened his to find a beautiful diamond ring. He slid it on her ring finger and flashed a toothy grin at her. She blushed and collected the ring from the little girl, then slid it unto his finger.

     The lights went off and the flips she made of them started playing on the screen. The guests cooed at how cute their relationship had been from the start. Hassan and Amira sat down to enjoy the slide with two mocktail cups in their hands. When the video ended, another one came up on the makeshift projected wall.

     A recording of the video call they had when he was in Australia came on. It showed Amira trying to dance while Hassan laughed at her and told her not to try dancing to Nigerian songs ever again. Everything was so cute and perfect. It was time for the last video to be played. The screen went blank and everyone waited for it to come back on. When it did, a sweet voice sounded through the speakers.

     "How do I look in this lingerie?"