Chapter 33

Clementine's P.O.V

"Row row row your boat"
"Gently down the stream"
"Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily"
"Life is but a dream".

...

"Aj, come on"!

"Row row row your boat"
"Gently down the stream if you see a crocodile"
"Don't forget to scream"!

"Come on, you love this one".
My voice trails off, Aj has been acting so strange these past few days since we've been back.

"It's a bad song, you shouldn't scream".
"Ever".
"Screaming brings monsters".

"Yeah, your right kiddo".
"This song was written before when kids didn't have to worry about monsters".

"I don't remember a time without monsters"...

We were both glancing down under the bridge, a dead walker looking up at us, his rotting corpse causing a putrid smell.

"I know". All I can manage to say.

Aj had decided to join me the morning after our drunk charade last night, I left Louis in bed, usually when I moved he would pull me back down to lay with him, but after last night he was out cold. He probably has a hangover. I decided to leave early before anyone else would notice I was gone.
The sun was beggining to rise above the bridge outside Ericssons entrance.
The fish seemed to be coming back down the stream since the Delta's downfall.

"What's the first rule"?
I ask, placing my spear carefully agaisnt the wooden stature and sitting with my little goofball.

"Never go alone".

"Never go alone". "Right".
"And what do we do when the mosnters come"?

"We shoot them in the head".

"And what else"?

"Always save the last bullet for yourself"...

"Now".
"What do you do...If I get bit"?

"You won't".

"Aj what did I tell you-"

"NO"! He shouts in my face, his hands turning into fists.

"Aj Breath".

"Your NOT gotta get bit". "Not YOU"! "OR Louis or Tenn-"

"I know you don't like to talk about it kiddo but you understand, what must happen".
"Right"?

His head falls, his eyes narrowing, continuing to look down at the dead walker sitting lonesome in the waters.
My heart drops, I begin to reach out, pulling my arm around his little shoulder.

"I know what I gotta do, but-"
"I DON'T want to think about it". He stammers, squinting his eyes.

I lower my head too, closing my eyes.
Aj shouldn't have to deal with putting me down if something happens to me. Or Louis. Or anyone else in our family.
I'm going to Try.
Try and give him a normal childhood from now on.
We stay put where we are.
Were safe, and we have protection if we need it.