Everything's Going To Be Fine Someday

Axel's POV

It's been a month since I last saw Tom and I wasn't even able to say goodbye. I remembered how I felt so betrayed by my bestfriend. I know he was doing it for me but many people would die in exchange of my safety and I am not okay with that.

"You don't talk much these days" said a voice beside me snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I just don't feel like it, Bryan" I weakly answered.

"You haven't told us about the camp you went to a month ago" he said.

"I don't even know if it is still a camp" I said.

"Don't think like that" he said.

"Then what should I think, Bryan?!" I snapped. "You want me to be happy that everyone that I knew might be dead right now?"

"I, I wasn't...I didn't mean to" he stuttered.

"Just forget it" I said. "I'm sorry that I shouted and I appreciate your concern but I just want to be alone right now."

"Okay, I'll leave you to your thoughts" he said as he stood up and walked towards the kitchen.

Bryan is one of my grandparents' neighbors. They are 3 actually. Him, Sasha, and Clara. They were here back when we just moved in. The others are also here, Ace, Mr. Anderson, Camila, Troy, Mason, Bridget, Shauna and Ivy. Now that I am back to being alone, my thoughts drifted back to the last day I saw Tom.

---FLASHBACK---

I went in James' cabin silently and heard him talking to somebody in a radio. I quietly moved towards him and I listened to what they were talking about.

"Are everything in place?" A man in the radio asked.

"Yes, sir" James radioed back. "Everyone's distracted."

"Good, we'll be there in 20" the man said and James released a deep sigh.

Even though I was still confused, I decided to just surprise him and he almost fell from his chair.

"Hey, Axel!" He said in shock. "You're here!"

"Hey" I said, confused. "Why so surprised?"

"You need to get out of here" he said in panic.

"What do you mean? I just came here a few minutes ago" I said with a smile. "I didn't travel for 2 hours just to be sent home after 10 minutes!"

"You really really need to go, Axel" he said with fear in his voice. "Like, right now before they come."

"Who's coming?" I asked, confused on what he is talking about.

"They are going to harm you!" He said in desperation. "You need to leave!"

"Why? What's happ-" I was cut off as he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a small exit.

"Why are we here?! Answer me!" I angrily asked.

"You're not safe here" he answered. "You need to go now!"

"But I haven't said goodbye to Tom!" I reasoned.

"Just go for fuck's sake!" He angrily shouted.

I was speechless because that was the first time he swore in front of me and the first time he shouted at me.

"What's wrong with you?!" I retorted. "You know you can just tell me that you don't want to see me rather than making up stupid excuses!"

I stomped towards the exit and went out of the camp. Tears dropped from my eyes as I walked back towards my car. He is so annoying! I can't believe he just made me leave like that! Fuck him! After a few minutes of me walking back to my car, I heard 5 consecutive explosions coming from the camp. I was contemplating whether I should check it out or just leave but my curiosity won over me and I decided to go back. I saw the camp or what was left of it, ruined. The place was covered in smoke and the walls were now destroyed. I saw some people running but what caught my attention was a dead body on the ground. I...I...I can't believe that he's gone.

---END OF FLASHBACK---

Tears started dripping from my eyes as I felt a hand wiping them away. I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that Clara, an eight year old, saw me crying and was the one who wiped my tears away.

"Hey" I weakly said.

"Why are you crying, Axel?" She asked in her cute voice.

"Nothing I just remembered someone" I answered.

"Everything's going to be fine someday" she said as if she was the adult and mature one.

"Thanks, Clara" I smiled and hugged her tight.

"No problem, Axel" she said with a toothy grin. "We're like family now."

I'm really shocked on how she can handle the situation. I mean their parents are basically gone and not to mention that the dead are currently roaming around.

"It's dinner time, guys." Sasha interrupted us.

"Okay!" Clara answered. "Come on Axel, let's eat!"

She pulled my hand towards the dinner table and pushed me on the chair beside Bryan.

"You both really look good together" Clara cheerfully said.

"I'm sorry I don't swing that way" Bryan said jokingly. "Plus, he has a boyfriend which is currently MIA."

"Are you sure you don't want me?" I said while smirking.

"Nope." He said smiling. "I like someone else anyways."

"Huh? Last time I checked no one is as hot as me in this house" I said while laughing.

"There is actually someone HOTTER than you" he said as he looked onto Ivy who is just smiling at the both of us.

"Oh, I see." I said knowingly. "Might as well just confess."

"Nope" he said still smiling.

"Your loss" I said temporarily forgetting the things that happened in my past.

"Don't you just miss the days where you just sit down in a table and chat with all of your friends" Camila said out of nowhere.

"Thanks for ruining the moment, Cams." I said sarcastically.

"Oops, I just wanted to share something with you guys" she said with a sheepish smile.

"Axel, stop being harsh on her" Ivy said jokingly.

"Said the girl who bullied Camila for being a nerd back in school" I retorted with a smirk.

"Past is past asshole!" She said. "Move on!"

Everybody laughed at us and for the first time in 5 months, it felt normal.