022

the last thing i remembered was eren transforming. my eyes would not open and it felt as if the wind was knocked out of my lungs. my chest hurt horribly and my head would not stop pounding.

something was moving under me. but i couldn't decipher what. i heard horses running and capes fluttering. we must be on the way back home.

it didn't seem too chaotic. it felt nice to ride in a cart. the position i placed in was uncomfortable, i felt constricted. i could feel a soft fabric wrapped around me. i did not want to wake up. my breathing became normal and i felt more relaxed.

until i heard a flare go off. following the flare was what sounded like a hundred large footsteps behind us.

i heard a mixture of screams and yelling.

"the titans are behind us!" someone spoke and that was when i opened my eyes.

the first thing i saw was the blue sky out of the corner of the white cloth, so peaceful and so beautiful. i felt like i was in a dream. i looked to my right, hoping that i would see someone i knew, like my father or any one of my friends. instead of them i saw large legs chasing after the cart. shifting my gaze down, i saw more rolls of white sheets.

when i looked to my left i nearly threw up. it was petra. a dead, lifeless, and bloody petra. i was laying next to a dead person. i tried to scream but nothing came out. panic began to set in, the familiar feeling of fear interfering with my breathing. i began to move, trying to sit up but the white cloth was wrapped around me too many times for me to properly sit up. 

"oh god" one of the living scout members in the cart said. he lifted up the white sheet and made eye contact with me. 

"what in the name of god.." the other scout said in disbelief. they both proceeded to drag me out of the pile of dead bodies and off to the side. 

"what are you doing?" i heard a familiar voice say from outside of the cart.

"captain, this one is alive"

"captain!" the other scout said, "they're catching up to us!"

"dump them" the voice said.

"but sir-"

"they are nothing more than corpses. consider this their last doing to humanity"

i heard the cart being open and the corpses began to roll out one by one. i started to tear up. i knew that if i hadn't opened my eyes quick enough that i would've been one of the first ones to roll out.

i stayed silent, slightly trembling with the white cloth still wrapped around me.

when we got back, the scout unrolled me from the white sheets. i heard people gathering around cheering and booing the arrival of the scouts. 

i hadn't felt so vulnerable since the day i left for the training camps. i hated this feeling of being pathetic. i'd always force myself to be strong for my colleagues but in the end i was just a girl. a small girl, insignificant to the world. self hate began to manifest, and i was certain that i wasn't the only one who felt this way. 

i heard a man approach someone and asked about petra and mentioned some thought of marriage. i began crying silently to myself. the thought of petra not only dying in front of me but being face to face with her dead self was something i would surely not sleep over. 

when we got to the scouts headquarters, the scout in the cart with me helped me out of the cart, knowing that i was still shaken up by the chain of events that had happened today. i looked around with thoughts only of my father. i wanted him to comfort me. him, hanji, erwin. it didnt matter who. i just needed support from family.