028 [a distant, but fond memory]

some fluff because i felt like it and because i'm procrastinating on getting an actual chapter out. enjoy <3 

---

you remember waking up to what felt like the warm sun glaring its light into your eyes. you knew that setting up your bed close to the window would prove to be annoying in the morning, but you could not pass up how much it made your room so much prettier; and you were a sucker for pretty things. 

not that you even had the chance to feel the sun glaring down at you from your bedroom. it was one of those rare occasions, a well deserved break. it was a while since you've felt relaxed. it was due to the constant getting up to clean a certain area of the building; because a certain short man "said so." 

however, it was odd that no one came to wake you up as they normally did. sure a day off was nice and all, but since when were you given a day off to begin with? you shot up out of bed, almost certain that your father would come in and lecture you at any moment, but he never came. 

it's not like he had a mission in the morning. right? if he did, you certainly weren't given any warning about it. 

you quickly got dressed in your uniform, hurriedly walking out of your room and straight towards your father's office. you knocked on the door three times in your usual fashion and awaited for the familiar voice inside. 

but there was no voice. 

now you were starting to get worried. certainly, even if your father did have a mission to attend to, he always came in to say goodbye, kissed you on the cheek, and patted you on the top of the head; just like how any doting father would. 

you headed on over to your uncle erwin's office, knocking it three times once again and awaited the voice. 

"come in," you heard the man say inside. you opened the door and walked in, promptly shutting the door behind you, "[y/n]!" he seemed shocked, "what are you doing here?" 

"where's father?" 

to anyone else's point of view, it would appear that erwin simply paused at the question. many people said that he was very graceful with his words, always saying the right things at the right time. but for you, it was clearly obvious that he was trying to think up a lie to say. 

you lived with him for a solid portion of your life; obviously you knew all of his idiosyncrasies. it was the same for hanji, your father, and even sasha, who was your bunkmate all throughout training. 

"he's," he paused, "out." 

"of what?" you crossed your arms, "the closet? did you send him out on a mission?" 

"something along the lines of that," he laughed softly, "why do you ask?" 

"he never leaves without saying goodbye," you huffed, "it feels off." 

"you were always daddy's little girl," he stood up, walking towards you, "he'll be back soon," he patted you on the head and walked towards the door and opened it, "it's your day off. enjoy it." 

"does this mean i can change out of my uniform?" 

"yes, you're off duty right now," he began to walk back to his desk, "in fact," he rummaged through his desk drawers, pulling out a small pouch, "take it. some of the other cadets are also off duty as well, go find a friend and go to town." 

you took the small pouched and inside held money, "are you sure?" 

"of course," he came up to hug you, "now, run along now." 

you thanked him for the money and bolted towards your room, eager to change out of your uniform and into one of the dresses your father had purchased for you as a gift a few weeks back. on his occasional days off, he would go into town and purchase as many dresses as he could for you, almost as a way of showing his love for you even though you didn't really need the dresses anyway. you were still grateful of this gesture, whether or not you liked the dresses or not.