Chapter 5

Mate! Shyrin squealed inside my head.

My body was just as frozen as the rest of the world around me. The only thing out there were his eyes. Amber eyes like liquid honey.

My mate's eyes.

My breath was stuck in my throat as I stared at the impossible. This couldn't be happening. I wasn't supposed to have a mate.

Standing by the door of the small hospital room was a guy about five feet and ten inches tall. His coffee brown hair shone in the light coming from the open hallway, emphasizing his sharp cheekbones.

In the back of my mind Shyrin purred at the sight of his full lower lip. She desperately wanted me to run my fingers down his clean-shaven chin.

A soft shiver ran down my neck as his hard eyes traveled up and down my body, taking in every detail. From my messy red hair, to the bare feet peaking from underneath the white sheet.

If I were anyone else, I would be offended by the way he was ogling me. Instead, I let my own eyes reek along his body, taking in every detail.

His muscular arms and the silhouette of the muscles underneath his shirt told me he wasn't a slacker. However, if he actually knew how to fight was yet to be determined. The power radiating from him told me without a doubt that he was an Alpha. The Alpha of the pack I had accidentally stumbled upon.

However, despite his power I didn't feel an urge to stop our eye contact or to show him any sign of respect.

For a moment I was so focused on his appearance that I almost forgot to breathe. Taking in a deep breath, I let his intoxicating scent fill my nostrils; the sweet scent of cinnamon mixed with the freshness of a forest right after a summer rain-shower. A mixture that was having Shyrin go bananas inside my head.

Mate, we need to go to mate! She howled inside my head, fighting for control over the body.

He's standing right in front of us.

I fought the urge to inwardly roll my eyes at her.

It's not close enough; she wouldn't give up.

This was after all our mate. It wasn't every day we met the person who was supposed to be the other half of our soul. And let's not forget that I wasn't supposed to have a mate in the first place.

We're still chained to the bed, I reminded her. And he's an Alpha. I have no wish to suffer because of your wolf hormones.

Fine, she gave in with a huff and stopped fighting me.

I focused back on my so-called mate, who seemed to be having a mental conversation with his own wolf. They were most likely discussing what to do with me. I was after all still a rogue. At least me being his mate had stopped him from instantaneously killing me.

When I finally couldn't take the silence any longer, I opened my mouth. "So, you're the reason I'm not six feet under?"

His dark eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The pack doctor looked just as lost, but no one cared about him.

"I was wondering why I'm still kicking. It didn't make sense for a pack to leave a rogue like me alive. Now I understand. I'm alive simply because I'm your mate, Alpha."

I wanted to get a reaction out of him. Maybe a growl or a flash of black in his eyes. However, he didn't respond to my taunt, as his hard eyes remained unchanged.

"What's your name?"

His voice was deeply masculine, making Shyrin wiggle her tail inside my head. She loved everything about him.