Chapter 11

"So, she's the reason you were so intent on leaving me?"

Blake was standing across the bed from me, exactly where Dr. Bob had stood a moment before. His arms were folded in front of his chest, while his eyes bored into my skull.

"Yeah." I kept my eyes focused on my still unconscious mother. "I needed to find her."

"Why?"

A loud sigh escaped my lips, my way of telling him to shut up. "She was kidnapped by rogues and because I knew she wouldn't be able to defend herself, I went after her."

"So, you just left your pack thinking you could save her on your own?"

Instead of answering, I shot him a glare, telling him I was done talking about the subject. I had already told him more than I intended to. Anything else would physically make me sick.

The reason for my unusual willingness to share my life's story was Shyrin. At least I blamed her for it. I saw no other reason why I would feel the need to answer any of his prodding questions. She and she alone was to blame.

Really mature, Ren.

Oh, shut the... up. I stopped myself before I could curse.

Despite my colorful vocabulary Shyrin insisted I wasn't allowed to curse when talking to her. I didn't see the difference between cursing inside my head where she could hear me or cursing when I was talking with her. However, Shyrin saw a difference and set the ultimatum soon after she first appeared.

"Will you now stop trying to escape and stay?" His eyes bored into mine, as if he could somehow find the answer in them.

Yes, absolutely yes, Shyrin purred inside my mind.

"I'm not sure yet." I swirled the thumb-ring around my finger. "I haven't had a chance to think about this entire situation. I'll need some time to decide what I'm going to do."

He held my gaze for another moment before he gave me a brief nod. His clenched jaw was the only thing telling me how he really felt, as the rest of his expression was an emotionless mask. He was much better at hiding his feelings than I would ever be.

After another minute of uncomfortable silence, he excused himself, saying he was going to get me something to drink. I wasn't sure if it was only an excuse or if he actually went to get the drink. Either way, it didn't matter. I was just happy he was gone.

The moment he left I moved my attention back to my mother. I had never seen her in such a defenseless state and it made me uncomfortable. Not to mention I was starting to feel creepy watching her unconscious body.

You need to think things through? That was the lamest excuse I ever heard. You never think things through. At least not with the most important decisions.

Shyrin was of course right. I never thought things through. However, right now I felt like for the first time in my life I needed to use my brain for this decision. Using my fists like I normally did wouldn't get me anywhere.

Looking at my mom, I wondered what I should do. Never in a million years had I ever pictured myself as a Luna. I was sure I would make a lousy Luna. With my particular set of abilities, I was better suited for the position of a Beta. However, I doubted that the current Beta would be willing to step down from his position, so I could become one, and he the Luna.

I sat there in silence and realized I had no idea how to tackle the difficult task of thinking about my decision. As Shyrin had already pointed out, I had no experience in thinking about my decisions. Normally I just went with the flow and made each decision on the spot, no matter how important it was.