Chapter 19

The water ran down my naked body, while I focused on my breathing. In and out. I didn't want to think about the rogue. No, I couldn't allow my thoughts to rewind back to him. Back to when —

Blake had tried to get me to explain how I knew him, but I wouldn't budge. I have never talked about that day with anyone and I never would. It was in the past and it could never happen again. I wouldn't let it.

I stepped out of the shower and found myself standing in front of the mirror. My eyes were drawn only to one spot on my body, my stomach. With the hint of my fingertips I traced across the six scars. Each one was a reminder that I was still alive. That I can't ever give up. I had to keep fighting.

Sparing the scars one last look, I threw on some fresh clothes and made my way downstairs. Blake was, as expected, already waiting for me. He seemed to take the fastest showers imaginable.

"I hope there's still some breakfast left." He ran his hand through his still damp hair.

The action caused his T-shirt to lift, revealing a line of smooth skin just above his pants. Shyrin purred inside my head, begging me to run my hands down his chest. Damn wolf hormones.

To prevent myself from doing anything stupid, I spun towards the door. However, before I could even take four full steps, Blake grabbed my wrist and spun me back around to face him.

"Who was he? The rogue." His eyes were burning into mine, preventing me from looking away.

Tell him, Shyrin urged me on.

Shut up.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. Her shooting voice filled every corner of my brain. You were only ten, Ren. It wasn't your fault. You were just —

"Shut up!" The scream tore its way out of my throat and I snatched my wrist out of Blake's hold.

"Ren?" He took a step closer to me.

Ren, Shyrin said at the same time inside my head.

"Shut up. Both of you." I covered my ears with my hands.

I didn't want to hear any of it. I wasn't about to go back. Not ever.

Without another word, I hurried out of the house. I needed air.

Not even ten steps away Blake caught up to me. Instead of continuing with his annoying questions, he matched his steps to mine. It seemed he was slowly getting the hang of me.

"Where did you get the magical ring?" He motioned with his head towards my hand.

Looking down, I realized I had been unconsciously playing with the thumb ring while walking. The moment I laid my eyes on it I stopped playing with it. But I also couldn't stop a soft smile from spreading across my lips.

"My friend Hunter gave it to me for my thirteenth birthday." My smile widened, as I thought back to the particular day. Oh, what a blast it had been meeting Shyrin. And of course I did it all in my own style.

"Take it off." His harsh tone pulled me back from my memories.

We had stopped just in front of the pack house, with him glaring down at the ring. What was his problem?

"Nope." My tone was final. There was no way I would take off the ring. I had worn it for five years through thick and thin and I wasn't about to take it off now. Especially if only for the reason that my mate told me to.

It was the only thing I had left of Hunter. I didn't even know if he was still alive.

"I said take it off." Blake took a step closer to me, looming over me.