Chapter 16

With an inaudible groan I rolled off the rogue's body, landing on my back. I gritted my teeth against the agonizing pain throbbing in my arm and crawled to the still unmoving witch. I rested my ear just below her nose, waiting until I heard the unmistakable sound of her breathing.

It was weak, but it was definitely there.

Ignoring my botched right hand, I swung her body over my left shoulder. With my uninjured arm wrapped around her legs, I began to slowly walk towards the pack hospital.

Halfway to my destination someone called out my name. The Beta appeared in front of me, frantically asking me what happened.

"Take care of the rogue's body a mile that way." I pointed into the direction I had just come from. "And make sure no other rogue has gotten onto the land."

I wasn't really sure what I expected since he was the Beta. However, he followed my order without hesitation. It wasn't something I was used to, but I didn't have time to dwell on it right now.

Slower than I would have liked, we reached the pack hospital. The instant I entered the quiet building, a fit of chaos erupted. The nurse closest to the entrance screamed for Dr. Goode, who came rushing in three seconds later. My mother was right behind him.

"Maggie, take Natalie to exam room two. I'll be right with you, as soon as I finish with the Luna," Dr. Goode ordered.

"No." I got out as soon as the witch was taken off my shoulder. "Take care of her first. She hit her head and I don't know how bad it is. I'll be fine."

The doctor looked like he wanted to disagree, but one nasty glare from me sent him running behind the nurses.

With only me and Mom left, she guided me into one of the still empty rooms. Once inside I plotted myself down onto the bed and closed my eyes. The damn hand still felt like my skin was being consumed by a hungry flame.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips, as a cold object was placed on the burnt flesh. My eyes flew wide open and I saw Mom holding a pack of ice to my injury. It was pure bliss.

My head fell back down onto the bed and I closed my eyes. As long as the pain was gone, nothing else mattered.

I knew that what was about to follow, was my mom's excessive questioning. She would want to know how I managed to end up like this. She had always been nosy.

However, before she was able to launch into her secret job as a mother, the door was thrown opened.

Blake.

I felt his presence loom above me, but I didn't bother to open my eyes. I could almost feel his eyes travelling up and down my body, searching for any injuries.

"What happened?" he demanded to know. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I answered without thinking, as I had no intention of explaining my pain.

"Her right hand is badly burnt, Alpha. Otherwise, she seems to be uninjured." Mom stepped in.

I should have known she would find it her duty to fill in my mate on my state.

"She also brought an unconscious witch with her. Victor is already checking her."

"Thank you, Mrs. A — Felicia." Mom must have sent him a look, reminding him not to call her a Mrs. "Ren, can you hear me?"

"No, the burnt flesh on my hand is intervening with my hearing ability." I bit out. Who asks such a question?

"What happened?"

With a loud sigh to tell him I found his questions irritating, I opened my eyes. For a second I was too startled to react, as I found him leaning over the bed, inspecting my burnt hand. His soft fingertips sent a flicker across my skin, as he peeked underneath the ice.