Chapter 20

"Ren, breathe. You need to sit down before you faint."

A high-pitched voice shook me out of my daze. The Beta Female was —

Cindi. Shyrin was determined to make me remember everyone's names.

Cindi was standing a few steps away, clutching the front of her shirt like it would rip open at any second. I hadn't even noticed her presence inside the study, let alone the Beta's looming figure in the edge of the room. I blamed Blake's hug for my lack of professionalism.

"Why the fuck would I faint?" Was this human for real? Did I look like a damsel in distress ready to faint because of some terrible news? Hell, no.

"Well, you let the paper drop and... and..." Cindi stuttered, while her eyes skipped from person to person.

I continued to stare at the said human, wondering what the heck was up with her.

It's you. Your glare is making her uncomfortable.

It took me a second to realize that Shyrin was right. I was glaring.

"It's fine." I forced my facial features to relax and turned to face Blake. "This is good news."

"What are you talking about?" He was still standing barely a step away from me, forcing me to tilt my head upwards to look into his eyes.

"The note." I nodded at the piece of paper lying lifelessly on the floor. "The part about the Red she-devil means that whoever is targeting me isn't doing this because I'm your mate."

Ever since the incident with Natalie and the rogue I had been on edge, but now I felt like an invisible weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"What?" Jaida asked.

Looking around the room, I realized that none of them understood the meaning of the simple name. But I did.

"Explain." Blake didn't look like he would allow me to leave anytime soon.

With a sigh in resignation, I plotted myself down onto one of the chairs. I rested my head against the top of the backrest and closed my eyes.

"I was given the name Red she-devil in my previous pack." The rest of the room was deadly silent, all of them waiting for me to continue. "It means that whoever is after me isn't doing this because I'm the future Luna of Red Moon. So you can all relax now, as no one is after the pack."

I waited for them to comprehend the truth, but as the silence stretched on for a while I opened my eyes. Did they still not understand my explanation?

However, my eyes landed on a different Blake than I expected. His usual emotionless mask was nowhere to be found. Instead, his eyes were narrowed and his nostrils flared. If I hadn't known any better, I'd say he was angry. Which of course didn't make any sense, as I had just explained that his pack wasn't in any immediate danger.

Neither did anyone else look relived for that matter. I expected them to be happy to hear the news, but they all looked even more worried. What the hell was wrong with this pack?

"You guys should be happy." I couldn't keep myself from commenting. Did they really need every single detail explained? "The pack isn't in danger. I can take care of whoever is after me on my own."

Instead of finally realizing their fortune, Blake marched straight up to me. He roughly grabbed both of my shoulders and hauled me up into a standing position. I would have protested to being treated like a lifeless sack of flour, if it weren't for his pitch black eyes. I had never seen his eyes this way outside of his wolf form.