Chapter 37

We stood facing each other while the surrounding atmosphere grew electric. I could feel that this was it. This was my fight and my fight alone. I may have learned to accept the help of others, but there were still some things we all needed to do on our own. For me this was it.

"I've been waiting for this moment my entire life." Snider snarled, rolling his shoulders. "Now, I finally get to kill you."

His cocky attitude was making me want to beat some manners into him. Through my entire life everyone, women especially, found his demeanor sexy. I seemed to be the only one who saw him for the egotistical jerk he actually was. A good-looking one, I'll give him that, but, otherwise, there wasn't anything special about him.

"Why? Why do you hate me so much?" I'd been asking myself that ever since he shot me.

As far as I could remember there had always been bad blood between us, but that was expected. I hated him because he got all of Ulric's attention, but I never understood why the hate was mutual.

"Don't play dumb. We both know what this is about." He snarled at me. "A pathetic thirteen-year old, who had just got her wolf, managed to beat me. Me, the future Beta. It was unforgivable. You should have died on the day of the attack. I had such a perfect plan, but, of course, the rogues had to go and screw it up."

It was as if a light bulb went on inside my head. I finally understood what happened on that day.

"You were behind the attack, weren't you? You wanted me to die so badly you were willing to sacrifice innocent pack members?"

I couldn't believe that all of this was just because a thirteen-year-old me beat a sixteen-year-old him. It had been so long ago, right after I got my wolf. Everyone had been counting on Snider easily winning the fight, but I surprised them when I emerged as the winner.

Not to mention that from there on he could never beat me, no matter how much he tried.

"Any sacrifice is worth the goal of finally killing you." He let his canines show. "Look at you now. The role of the Luna made you weak. You're not the warrior you used to be, Red she-devil. You should see yourself right now, all scared and weak. It won't be the same as it would've been killing the true Red she-devil, but it'll have to do. As long as it ends with you being dead."

Without warning, he lunged at me in his human form. He swung his fist at my face, but I quickly turned, so he reached nothing but thin air.

The wolfsbane still flowing in my system and the fights I had already been in had taken an obvious toll on me. Opposite to me Snider was fully rested. It showed how much he had thought the entire attack through.

However, I managed to avoid his second attack as well and make one of my own. My fist collided with the side of his ribs, earning me a low groan from him.

I wasn't the only one who managed to land a good punch though. Soon he got a strong swing at my face. The blow stung like a bitch, sending a few drops of blood from my nose and mouth.

I didn't even have time to wipe off the blood, before I was already lunging back at him. He would pay for this.

We were swinging at each other, fists colliding with different parts of our bodies. We both managed several good hits, but none of them were strong enough to send the other too far away.

That is until he managed a strong kick to my thigh, right on the spot where he'd shot me. The agonizing pain buckled my knees, and he managed to send me flying backwards.

I landed on my back in the soft grass, a few feet away. Before I had a chance to stand back up, he straddled my hips, keeping me pinned to the ground. He used my inferior position to land a good punch to my temple. It sent my head spinning, making me unable to struggle for a few seconds.