Chapter 8

"Stop!" The shrieking voice belonged to no one other than the witch herself.

She was running towards us, her mouth and eyes wide open. The Beta Female was a few feet behind her, going at a pace not much faster than a slow jog.

The she-wolf tore her arm out of my grasp, but she didn't attack again. Instead, she took a step towards the approaching witch, all the while keeping her eyes focused on me.

When the witch reached us, the she-wolf pushed her behind her back. I found it funny how she tried to shield her from me.

"Watch out, Nat. This one's a rogue," the she-wolf said. "Stay back while I take care of her."

"No, you can't! She's Jansen's mate."

The Beta Female reached us just as the witch finished her breathless explanation. I tried to concentrate on the threat the she-wolf still presented, while Shyrin raved about our mate's last name being Jansen. Her curiosity regarding our mate was someday going to drive me insane. Who cared about his last name?

"What?" The she-wolf's eyes almost bulged out.

"Jaida meet Ren, Jansen's mate and our Luna." The human rested her hands on her thighs, trying to catch her breath.

Her physical fitness was laughable. She hadn't done anything other than leave the house with a slow jog, and yet she was panting like she'd just finished a three-hour-long warrior training.

"Ren, I want you to meet Jaida, the Gamma of our pack," the witch chipped in.

For a moment her statement didn't make any sense. If the witch was the Gamma Female, then how could the she-wolf be the Gamma? It didn't make any sense, unless...

Oh. Then it hit me. The witch and the she-wolf were mates.

Mates of the same gender weren't common, but they weren't unheard-of either. However, what drew most of my attention wasn't the two females being mates, it was the fact that the Gamma of this pack was a female.

It was almost unheard-of for a woman to be in such a high ranking position. Then again, for most of my life I had starved to be the Beta of Black Moon, so I should understand.

The simple reason that Blake accepted a female in the position of a Gamma made him and his pack a tiny fraction more alluring to me. Anyone who refused to abide to old-fashioned rules of tradition was worth more than those old fanatics.

"I can't believe that a rogue is to be our Luna." The Gamma's mouth did an ugly twist as she looked down on me.

"Jaida, be nice." The witch swatted the she-wolf over her upper arm.

The simple action confirmed their status as mates. A powerful werewolf, especially one in a high position, wouldn't allow anyone to hit them and go unpunished. The only exception was of course the mate.

"How did you end up down here?" The Beta Female made everyone focus back on me.

I wasn't ashamed of what I had done nor did I regret it. The only thing I regretted right now was not making it off their land. I was still stuck here.

"She jumped of the balcony," the she-wolf said, as no answer came from me.

"Why did you do that?" The witch and her mate shared a look, their eyes unfazed. They were mind-linking.

Looking at them, I felt a quick pang in the middle of my chest. It had been a while since I last mind-linked anyone. Back in Black Moon I had taken the mind-link for something granted. However, since the moment I became a rogue I had no one left. I was on my own.