Playing for Keeps

I woke up to Brit shaking me. The room was bright. “Jesus, what!?” I groaned covering my eyes.

“It’s noon, get your lazy ass up!” Brit said pulling me off the sofa. I landed on the carpet with a THUD. “Jazz wants us to come over.” she added.

I shot up, wide awake from just that statement. Jazz was a senior who knew everything about everyone. The guys didn’t know, but all us girls knew what terrible power she possess. You piss her off, then you are officially an outsider for the rest of your high school years. So if she wants you to go to her house, you go, no questions asked.

“Do you know why?” I asked nervously.

“She just said something about wanting to see us before her big party tonight.” She told me.

“When?”

“Now.”

~*~*~

We pulled up to Jazz’s mansion. It was 4 stories high, and had a large fountain in front of it. Her house was surrounded by rare flowers and tall trees making it like a fairy tale castle. Brit and I walked up the steps and knocked on the door. I held my breath.

The door swung open and there stood Jazz. Her long brown hair fresh with hazel highlights. Her hazel eyes with perfect Smokey makeup. She was wearing apple bottom jeans and a juicy couture t-shirt. She was a good 7 inches taller than me, putting her at 5’10.

“Wazup Bitches!?” she slurred. She was drunk, at 12 o’clock in the afternoon.

“Uhh hi.” I said for me and Brit.

“Well get your skinny asses in here. I have something to discuss with you. She turned her backs to us and started to walk into her house. Brit and

I casted worry glances at each other as we followed her. Jazz plopped down on the sofa and motioned for us to sit across from her. We did obediently.

“Sooo you’re the soccer girls…” she said, glancing at both of us. It wasn’t really a question, but an observation.

“And from what I understand, you two have boyfriends who are a year older than you. Or, well, had in your case.” She said nodding towards Brit. I nodded and Brit just turned away, biting her lip and trying not to cry.

“Well, I have some info you girls might want If you want to keep your man. Summer, you still have a year, to keep him. And I can see red over there is a lost cause, she went at it the wrong way, and is now “With child.” She said in a British accent, and using air quotes.

I was shocked that she knew so much. It was scary.

“Well, then Summer, listen up.” She told me.

As freaked out as I am I was still interested on what she had to hear. I would love to know a way to keep Bryce here.

“Okay darlin’ it’s called Playing for Keeps.” She tells me.

I raise my eyebrow at the odd name, “Playing for Keeps? How do you know if it works? Didn’t your boyfriend leave to go to college?” I asked.

She gave me a sloppy grin and as if on cue he walked in. Caleb Greyson. The 19 year old boy who started graduated my freshmen year. I knew who he was because everybody knew him. He was captain of the football team! He had gotten a football scholarship to some college in Florida. What was he doing here?

He smiled down at jaz and handed her a drink. “Here you go babe. He gave her a small kiss before leaving the room.

She swished the martini around, “I know because I tried it and it worked. He never left to go to college, he’s been living here. With me.”  She sent me a wide grin.
She had gained my full attention, “Okay, so how do you ‘Play for Keep’s?” I asked

“Well your first phase starts tonight at my party. You show him how sexy you can be. You show him what he’s going to miss if he leaves.” She started.

I gulped, “Meaning..?”

“Well, tonight at my party, don’t be afraid to go off to another room.” She hinted.
She glanced at Brit then added, “But don’t go all the way or you’ll end up like her. Just get hot and heavy and stop. He’ll want more, but act uninterested or something. Then phase one is complete.”

“Then?” I asked.

“Then you pull away. Don’t talk to him as much and act as he’s a stranger. Act like you always have something better to do. Flirt with other guys. Avoid him. Then when he’s basically begging, you give him a chance. And then you basically will have him in the palm of your hands.” She finished, taking a drink of her martini.

I looked down, processing what she just said. It could work! I thought. It wouldn’t be right, but right now I don’t care. I look at Brit, who gives me a look saying, Your not really going to do this are you?
I looked back to Jazz, “What time’s the party?”

~~~~~~~

Thoughts? Vote and Comment!