Crumble

This car was beautiful. It must have cost a fortune, and it made me slightly curious as to how he could afford it.

“So what were you guys talking about?” he asked.

“What?”

“When I pulled up. You all seemed to be excited about something.”

“We were thinking about setting a booth up for the homecoming bash.”

“Homecoming bash?” he gave me a puzzled look.

“Oh, that’s right, you just moved here. Well every year on the Monday before homecoming the school throws a little carnival. Clubs and sport teams set up booths. It’s really fun.”

“Is there anything else that happens on homecoming week that I should know about?” he asked.

“Hmmm, well on Tuesday we have the parade. I love the parade, even though I run out of candy to throw before we’re even half way through.

Then on Wednesday there’s the dance battle and panther Olympics. Those are always fun to go watch. Thursday is spirit day and the pep rally.

We have off on Friday, but the game is that Friday. And then Saturday is the dance.” I finished, counting on my fingers to make sure I remembered everything.

“Speaking of homecoming…” Jason started to say.

Oh gosh. I knew exactly where this was going.

“Well I’m new here. And I think you’re really cool and beautiful, and-“

Please no. Don’t ask. Don’t finish that thought.

“Will you go to homecoming with me?”

A lump rose in my throat, and I started to squirm. I instantly felt uncomfortable in these leather seats.

“Listen Jason, I just broke up with my boyfriend. I just met you… Could I have some time to, I don’t know, think?”

Jason swallowed hard and gripped the steering wheel a little harder. “Sure.”

~~*~~*~~

I lay on my bed as I scrolled through my phone. I had 16 text messages. One from every girl on the team, asking about Jason, a few from Brit, a couple from Jason, and one from Bryce. I hesitated before clicking on it.

I miss you.-B

3 simple words was enough to break my walls down, and crumble apart. I wanted so badly to text him back. To tell him I missed him too. But he needed to move on. I can’t be the one that drags him down; I love him too much to let that happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!