Gloomy Thoughts

The sky was dark and gloomy, matching how I felt as I walked into school. Bryce’s words last night had made me so confused. Then I was confused at why I was confused. I mean what’s there to be confused about? My boyfriend loves me for me. What more could I ask for? But then there’s Brit voice in the back of my head, “I have no doubt in my mind that he loves you. But once he goes to college, who’s to say he won’t fall in love with someone else?”

Her words echoed in my head as I walked into my first hour class. My teacher looked at me then down at her paper. “Summer, we assigned lab partners yesterday. You partners with Jason Smith at table 4.” She pointed at the lab table in the corner of the class room. I followed her finger to see a boy with blonde hair that was just a shade darker than my own. He had blue eyes that almost looked green. I walked over and placed my Chem binder on the desk and waited for the teacher to talk.

“Alright class. I don’t have anything planned to start until tomorrow. So today I would like you to get to know your lab partner, after all, you will be working with them the whole school year.”

I cringed slightly and turned to face my lab partner.

He gave me a gentle smile, “Hi, I’m Jason.”

“Summer.”

We sat there awkwardly for a second before continuing.

“So are you new here?” I asked.

“Yeah, I just moved here from Houston.”

“Really?” I asked with a smile.

“Yeah, have you been there?” he asked.

“Yeah. I used to live in San Antonio. Have you ever been there?”

“Of course! I the Alamo was always cool to go see.” He told me.

I chuckled. He’s the first person I’ve met that‘s from Texas. Like me!

“Corpus Christi?” he asked.

“Yep, how about Padre Island?”

“Who hasn’t? Austin?”

“Went there a week before I moved.” I told him.

We laughed together, and it felt nice. It felt nice to laugh and not have to worry about my team, my relationship or my friendship.

“So do you play a spot?” I asked curiously.

“Yeah. I tried out for the soccer team. I almost didn’t make it, but the team captain convinced the coach to let me be on the team.”

I smiled. “Was he a senior?”

“Yeah, he was actually.” He said a little shocked.

“That’s Bryce.” I told him.

He raised his eyebrow, “Friend?”

“More like boyfriend.”

“Ahh, so your taken.” He sounded disappointed.

“Yeah…”

We sat there awkwardly for the rest of the hour attempting to make small talk. When the bell rang I grabbed my stuff and raced out of the classroom. I had German next hour and I had forgotten my book on the other side of school. When I saw who was waiting there I almost turned around Until she called out my name. “Summer! Wait!” Brit ran towards me. She pulled me into a tight hug. “Summer, I’m sorry! Please, I just wanted to help you! I was trying to look out for you… Please let’s just talk.” She looked at me with pleading eyes.

My teeth clench together. I was still mad, but the I have been thinking about what she said… a lot.

I followed her to that secret room near the varsity gym. We sat down on the dusty table, the chairs were all broken. Brit looked down at her hands, trying to think of what to say. “Summer, you know I wasn’t at all trying to hurt you. You’re like my sister, and I… I’m just trying to protect you.”

“How?”

“Well, I thought if I told you the truth, you would see what I was trying to prevent.”

I balled my hands into fists, “I know what you were trying to prevent! And I think why I’m really upset is because I know your right…”

“You do?” she asked.

“Yes. But if I break it off with him, I wouldn’t be doing it to help me though.”

She looked at me, puzzled. “What do you mean?”

I took a deep breath, “If I break up with Bryce, it wouldn’t be so I wouldn’t get hurt in the end. It would be because I want what’s best for him. In a year he’ll be in college with his scholarship, accomplishing great things-“ I smiled. “And I don’t want to be the one holding him back.”

“Summer, I didn’t mean-“

I held up my hand, “I know Brit. I’m just telling you how I feel.”

“So what are you going to do?” she asked.

“You’ll know by the end of today.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!