Brits Big Mouth

The ring in my hand seemed to weigh a ton. The infinity mocking me and the two gems were like glaring eyes. I squeezed my finger’s tight around it. I haven’t worn it on my finger since I broke up with Bryce, yet somehow… I feel better when I hold it. It’s as if my world isn’t falling apart underneath me. The ring held my sadness, my anger and my love for Bryce. The fist that held the ring was placed on my chest, just above my heart, waiting for the calmness to take over.

Jasmine parked her minivan in the parking lot of Mascoutah High. We piled out, looking like one huge soccer family. Kimmi pulled up next to Jasmine’s van, bringing the rest of our team. Brit grabbed the bag of soccer balls, and I carried the huge jug of water. I walked over to our small bench and placed it on there.

We began our warm-ups just as the Mascoutah soccer team walked out of their locker room. They crossed the parking lot, wearing their cleats. Personally I wanted to strangle them for that. You DO NOT walk across cement or blacktop with your cleats! I’d rather walk barefoot or in my socks before I’d walk in my cleats. That’s what my Nike sandals were for. I could put my deadly smelling shin guards on and my socks, and not have to put my cleats on right away. But apparently Mascoutah girls are totally oblivious to this.

They crossed the field to their own bench. The bleachers behind us began to fill up with some friends and family member’s. One person caught my eye though. That same tall girl from the last game was sitting on the top of the bleachers. Her hair was curled and half of her face was covered with designer sunglasses. Suddenly I felt really sick. This game was probably going to be worst the our last game, and I have a feeling the refs won’t do anything about it.

~*~*~

We finished the game 4 to 3 . We won, but like last week we got the snot kicked out of us. I don’t know how much longer we could take this. We can’t afford to have anyone out. There are just enough girls on our team to play, if we lose one then that’s it for the OTHS girls soccer team. I handed Clair an ice pack and she placed it on her bruised calf.

“How come the refs aren’t calling them out on anything!?” Clair asked.

“Because they’re total DICKHEADS!” Brit yelled the last part just as one of the refs walked past us. He gave her a dirty look and she just flipped him off. He gasped at the gesture. “You gona pull another red card on me grandpa?!” She asked.

I slapped my hand over her mouth and pinched her side so she would lower the bird she was flipping. “I’m sorry sir. My friend here can’t control what she says, or does. It’s a real shame.” I told him. He rolled his eyes and stalked off. I felt something wet run across the inside of my hand. I quickly pulled it away. “DID YOU JUST LICK ME!?”

“Well you had your hand over my mouth!” She defended, crossing her arms.

I shook my head before walking in front of my team. “Well girls, we took a beating but we have a little break. I want us to focus on our booth. We will be using this money to get some more supplies and to help Jasmine and Kimmi pay for gas. By the way, were you able to get those pictures?” I asked Kimmi.

She gave me a grin and pulled a thick folder out of her bag. I opened it, and I saw photos of every teacher.

“Jasmine, were you able to get the tomatoes?”

Yep, I have ten huge crates in my garage waiting to be thrown.” She smiled proudly.

“Okay than the only real thing we need to worry about now is set up and the pies.” I said.

Sandy looked up at me, “Well we don’t need real pies.”

“Really?” I asked, waiting for her to explain.

“We could just have pie tins filled with cheap spray whipped cream.” She explained.

“That could work! And I wouldn’t cost much!” Brit agreed.

I pulled my clip board out and wrote down Sandy’s idea. “Now we just need help for set up. Any volunteers?” I asked.

“We’re all in this together! We’ll all help!” Clair declared.

A smiled broke out on my face at that. “Well I want all of us to wear our jerseys. So we match and look like a team.”

“Home? Or Away?” Brit asked.

“Home.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!