Hungover

BRYCE POV

I woke up with a terrible hangover. My head throbbed and the sun shining through the window didn't help. I rolled over, and something caught my eye. There, on my side table was a folded piece of paper. I picked it up and read it through my hazy eyes. It was a short and simple. But it wasn't the words that really grabbed my attention, it was the writer of the note. 

Stay hydrated! 
-Summer

What happened last night? What did we do? Was our relationship fixed? I mean, how else did she get into my house. We haven't been on friendly terms since she called it quits, so i doubt i just invited her in. Scratch that. I would have invited her in. Hell, i would have begged her to come in. I miss holding her in my arms. I miss her fighting spirit, that always fanned her competitive flames. I. miss. her. She wasn't like the snooty stuck up bitches that were more plastic than human. She was my soccer girl.

I shook my head in a sad attempt to focus my thoughts on what happened last night. It was like trying to take a picture with a dirty lens.  No matter how hard you try, you'll never get the picture, 'cause the image will always be blurry. Right now, my dirty lens is all the fucking beer i drank. I don't remember the dance, but i remember the bar before that. The smoke filled air, and the appealing look of a beer. The confidence i needed right now. The confidence i needed to face her and her date.

One drink led to another, which led to another. Which, in turn led to 4 more. After that? I have no fucking clue what happened. But i do know one thing. I needed to clear my head. I knew just the place to do it.

***
I cut the engine of my tuck and sat there. The small coffee shop sat on the outskirts of old O'fallon. The red bricks had cracked and crumbled in certain places. Vines had crawled up the walls giving it an old yet oddly appealing look. Summer used to drag me here every now and again, forcing me to try different flavors of coffee. 

I forced myself to push open my truck door. I shoved my keys in the pocket of my sweat pants and made my way to the front door. I pushed it open, making a tiny bell ring. That familiar smell of roasted coffee beans and a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon hung in the air. The girl behind the register put down her nail filer in annoyance and looked up. When she saw it was me, a familiar smile cracked across her face. 

"Hey Bryce, haven't seen you in awhile." She said.

Taking a wild guess, she hasn't heard about the break up. 

"So, do you want the norm?" She asked.
Without thinking, i nodded and pulled out my wallet. I handed her a ten dollar bill as she typed in a few things on the register. She than went to go make my drink. I leaned on the counter and whistled a song to myself. 

"Alright i heard you already!" Yelled a familiar voice. 

I turned around to see Britney walk in. Her fiery orange hair was pulled into a pony tale and she was sweats.

"Hey Britney." I said.

She turned in my direction, an her smile instantly turned into a glare.
"I thought i saw the devils carriage out front." She said with a smirk.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Kitty, please retract your claws." I said with a mocking grin.

"Go fuck yourself Bryce!" She snapped back.

I heard the coffee girl clear her throat as she handed me two cups. A French vanilla and a cup of black coffee. Shit. I forgot the norm was not only my favorite coffee, but hers as well. I just stared at it, not knowing what to do. Britney let out a huff of air and went up to order.

"One iced mocha and one French vanilla." Britney handed the girl a ten dollar bill and turned to face me. 

"So, your getting coffee for you and your new girl? Here of all places?" She asked, leaning against the counter.

I looked at her stunned, "What are you talking about?"

"I just think its a low blow to get your new girl coffee at a place that Summer used tolove going with you."

"What new girl?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, your new girlfriend Jazz." She said with and icy glare aimed at me.

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about! We both saw you at Jason's party swapping spit with Jazz!" 

"What?! That's bullshit! I don't even remember going to Jason's party, let alone kissing the fucking she devil!" I defened. And in all honesty, i didn't. That was one of the many blurred nights caused by one too many drinks.

"Wait, is that why i found Summer's ring tied to my truck?" I asked.

Britney face palmed, "God Bryce, you're so stupid."

My stomach flipped, and my chest hurt. I can't even imagine what Summer felt when she saw me and Jazz... I know how i felt when i saw her with Jason. I wanted to beat him to a fucking pulp. I wanted to kill him for being near her. What had Summer felt? I'm a bigger dick than i thought i was...

I needed to clear the air, even if it as only with Britney. If i explained it to Brit, it would eventually get to Summer.

"Brit, I don't remember that night. Hell, i don't remember last night. The only thing I remember is picking up a keg for his party and that's it!"

"Wait, you don't remember last night either? You don't remember showing up drunk, fighting with Jason, and leaving the dance with Summer?"

My head was spinning, and this time, it wasn't from my hangover. I got into a fight with Jason? And i left the dance with Summer? 

The coffee girl cleared her throat again. Britney turned to her and grabbed the two coffee's. "You know Bryce, maybe you finally hit rock bottom. But maybe you'll finally realize it when you loose more than a stupid soccer scholarship." She said, leaving me alone in the coffee shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!