A Little Talk With Jazz

Bryce was leaning against his tuck talking to a few of his friends while I sat in his truck with my phone pressed to my ear. I wanted to inform my mom that there was a small possibility that I could get suspended for what I was about to do.

“Mom, I have to.” I sighed.

“Well, just don’t stoop to her level.”

I laughed, “Stooping to her level would involve me paying someone else to do this, and I’m a little short on funds for that.”

“Summer.” My mom scolded.

“I know. I know.” I said.

Bryce knocked on the window, and tapped his wrist, indicating it was time.

“Mom, I gotta go. Bye.

“But Summer-“

I ended the call before she could finish her sentence. I opened the door and grabbed my crutches. Bryce gave me sly grin and prepared to pick me up. Holding up my crutch, I waved him off, “You can’t carry me around all the time.”

“Wana bet?” he asked, grinning.

“No, I’m sure you could carry me. BUT, I don’t want you to. At least not at school.” I said, placing my crutches on the ground and sliding out of his truck.

He walked up behind me and placed his arms around my waist, “Fine, but when we get to your house tonight, I’m carrying you in.” He kissed me gently on the cheek.

Hmm, I could agree to that. I’m sure that after a day of walking with crutches, my under arms will be slightly sore. It’d be nice to have my prince carry me. “Alright, you gota deal.”

He pulled away, and checked his phone. “Eric just saw Jazz enter her usual place. You have 45 minutes.”

I inhaled deeply before exhaling. “Alright. I’ll see you after first hour.”

Bryce reached out for my arm. I stopped and looked at him. “Be careful.” He told me.

“I always am.”

~*~*~

I was going to do this alone. As much as Brit whined, I told her to stay out of this. Knowing her she’d probably start a fight, and I don’t want my pregnant friend getting punched. Scratch that, I didn’t want my friend getting punched, period.

Standing outside the door, I weighed out all the possible outcomes. I could knock some sense into her. I could possibly get suspended. I could get the revenge I came for. But I wouldn’t know until I walked through this door.

I turned the doorknob and walked in. Jazz was sitting on the back lab table, inhaling the smoke from the bunt between her fingers. When she saw me, she started to choke on the smoke. “What the hell are you doing here Summer?!” she yelled, waving away the smoke.
I glared at her, “Just thought I should show you, your handy work.” I motioned to myself, crutches, casts and all.

She let out a laugh, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She deeply inhaled from the bunt in between her slender fingers.

“Really? You don’t remember handing over hundreds of dollars to refs and coaches, so they would be rough on my team.” I asked. When she didn’t say anything, I continued. “Or how bout blaming all this on your uncle? I mean, I know he’s a total douche, but who wouldn’t be when their little brother makes more money in an hour than they would in their entire lifetime?”

Jazz laughed again, but this time her laugh was shaky and unsure. “Yeah, whatever.”

I grinned, “Don’t worry I’m sure the cops would just love to hear MY side of the story which is also memorized by every girl on the team. After all, everything is better in numbers.”

Jazz jumped off the table and marched over to me, “You wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh but I would!” I said, grinning ear to ear.

Jazz and I glared at each other. Her eyes left mine for a moment, before she looked back at mine and grinned. She kicked the crutch I was leaning on, making me fall to the floor. My hand that was in a cast, hit the floor sending a wave of pain through me. A small cry escape my lips.

“Whoops!” She said in a fake high pitched voice. I glared up at her, gritting my teeth, as she grinned down at me. I didn’t even notice Brit had walked in, until she had slammed her fist into Jazz’s cheek. Jazz fell backwards, gripping her cheek. “Fuck! This is gona bruise!”

Brit ignored her, as she helped me up. “Are you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah. I thought I told you to stay out of this.”

“I was going to until Bitchy McBitch fucking attacked you. I wasn’t going to stand on the side lines while my girls down!”

I placed my good hand on her shoulder as a sign of thanks, before glancing back down at Jazz. She was still, over dramatically, gripping her cheek. I put all my weight on one crutch, and offered her my good hand to help her up. She looked at it, questionable before taking it. I helped her up even though Brit had a disapproved look on her face. Jazz dusted herself off. She glared at me, and opened her mouth, “Thanks, I guess.”

“No problem.” I said. She was about to turn around but I wasn’t going to let her. I pulled back my fist and punched her in the face. She flew backwards, her nose spewing blood. I shook my hand, which ached slightly.

“My nose! I just had that done, you bitch!”  Jazz screamed, as she tried to stop the blood from dripping onto her clothes.

“Oops, sorry.” I said sarcastically. Brit snickered next to me, holding up her hand for me to high five it. I just shook my head. We can’t high five in front of the enemy.

Jazz gripped the table and pulled herself up, that’s when I got to get a good look at the damage I caused to her plastic face. Her nose was defiantly broken and defiantly bloody.

“Now here’s the thing Jazz, not only do we have our stories ready for the cops, but we also have a picture of you paying one of the refs.” I stopped and turned to Brit, “Wouldn’t that just suck if they got those pictures too?” I asked.

“Not to mention the picture of you doing some breathing exercises with an illegal substance.” Brit added, causing me to raise an eyebrow curiously. Brit just smiled.

“Fine, what will it take for you guys not to show any of that?” Jazz asked.

“Well for starters, you could make a generous donation to the girls’ soccer team.” I told her.

“Done.”

“AND you have to go on the student news and make a formal apology for being a bitch.” Brit added.

“No way! I’m not doing that!” Jazz argued.

“Hmm, okay. Hey Sum, do which filter should I use on this photo to make the marajana smoke stand out?” Brit asked me, scrolling through her phone.

Jazz let out a defeated groan, “FINE!”

~*~*~

~*Later that day*~

It felt nice to have Bryce carry me in. In all honesty, I felt like a princess. I pushed open my bedroom door with my crutch, then a discarded it on the floor. Stupid crutch.

Bryce laid me on my bed, and sat next to me. “So, she just agreed to give you the money? Just like that?” he asked curiously.

“Weeeeeell, we kind of had to negotiate the terms of our agreement.” I said, twirling a strand of hair around my finger.

“Meaning, she funds the team and apologizes on the school news for being a bitch and we don’t leak the pictures to the police.”

“Pictures?”

“Yeah, turns out Clair took a picture of the team at one of the games with Jazz clearly handing money to the ref in the back ground. Annnnd, Brit took a pic of Jazz smoking some marijuana.”

“Wow. Care to explain the broken nose she had?” he asked, grinning.

“Hey, she deserved it!” I defended.

Bryce chuckled, “Of course she did. So, are you going to keep you’re promise to Jazz?”

I let out a small laugh, “Of course not! She already wired the money into the soccer account at school and did her interview with one of the student anchors. Soooooo, she can’t take anything back, just like I can’t take back the pictures I left at the police station.”

“Wow.” Bryce chuckled, leaning back on my bed. He put his arms behind his head and smiled. “Someone needed to put her in her place.”

“Yep. She won’t be bothering us for a long time.” I grinned at the thought. No more Jazz to screw with my team or my relationship. I can’t believe she almost convinced me to be all slutty towards Bryce. That’s not me, and it never will be.

  I laid my head down on Bryce’s chest. Bryce reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers, while his other arm snaked around my waist. I couldn’t help the smile that played across my lips. Is it odd that our hands fit together like puzzle pieces?

It was silent in my room. Neither of us were talking, we were just… just enjoying being with each other.

This right here, was the life I wanted. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!