Take It Out On The Team

The field was muddy. It made sloshing noises as I made my way to where the girls stood stretching. My hands were clenched into fists. Britt looked up just as I trudged pass them, and a knowing look washed over her face. I grabbed the bag of balls and set them up. I took a step back and started to kick the balls into the field. Each one flew in, faster and harder than the other. After I kicked the last one a reeled back and kicked muddy grass.

Brit jogged over, while the rest of the girls just stared at me as if I had lost it.

“Summer?”

I took in a deep, shaky, breath. My stomach was still in knots that seemed to have gotten tighter, so tight that I was sure it was squeezing the life out of me.

“How bad was it?” Brit asked.

“Bad doesn’t describe it.” I told her.

“What does?”

“Hell.” I rolled my shoulders back, refusing to let my problems get in the way of my team.

“Girls! Today I want us to run 6 laps around the field and finish with shooting drills.”

“So practice will be short today?” Sandy asked.

“Depending on how fast we get it done than yes.”

The girls smiled, and lined up, beginning our run.

~*~*~*~

I walked down the halls to chem. My legs still ached from running yesterday, but that just showed that I needed to run more. I pushed the door open and came to sit down next Jason. He laid his head ontop of his arms, and I could see him stretching his legs under the table.

He lifted his head slightly when he saw me sit down. “Hey Summer.”

“Hey Jason.”

“What crawled up your boyfriends ass yesterday? He made us run the whole hour.” He said stretching his legs more.

I looked away, instantly feeling guilty. Bryce was taking his anger out on his team.

“Ex.” I said.

“What?” he looked at me with a confused look.

“We broke up yesterday.” I told him.

He raised an eyebrow and ran his hand over his mouth to erase the small smile that had started to form. “Huhh… That would explain the hell he made us go through yesterday.” He rubbed the back of his calf.

I gave him a sympathetic smile, “I’m sorry he did that. He takes it out on people when he’s… upset.”

His face twisted in confusion before false realization washed over. “Did he-?”

“No! No that’s not what I mean.” I quickly said. I didn’t really want to tell this boy that I’ve known for, what? A day? About what I really meant.

Jason looked at me as if he didn’t believe me. I didn’t want him going around saying anything bad about Bryce. So I don’t really have a choice.

“When I first met him he had just gone through a bad break up. He was a total dick to me, but after a while he forgot about that bitch he was with.

He’s really sweet. Honestly.” I explained smiling. 

“Well, you can’t know for sure if he’s always that way. Maybe he just turned nice after meeting an angel like you.”

“No, he’s really nice all the time its- wait. Did you call me angel?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

He just gave me a sly grin before leaning his head back down on his arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!