Chapter 44

Inferno

    "Soren! Annika! I need your help!"

    Inferno was in and out of consciousness, but the sound of his distressed voice served as the coldest splash of water on her face. There weren't as many thoughts going through her mind as she thought there would be when she got as close to death's door as she was in that moment. All she could register was the love she felt for Rouhem. How she adored him for staying with her and showing her parts of life she never imagined to ever be blessed to experience.

    "Rouhem," Inferno whispered against his chest. No matter how much pain she was in, she refused to allow this curse to keep her from professing the truth. She was done with being a coward.

    She felt his gentle kiss on the top of her head. "I'm going to get you help, Inferno, remember my promise."

    Inferno flinched when he shouted as the many bodies she heard approaching, "get the fuck outta my way! I must see the king and queen!"

    An unfamiliar voice spoke up. "Stay back! How did you get this far?"

    "I don't have time for this bullshit. Get out of my way or I will be forced to get you out of my way. I am Prince Rouhem, and this is Inferno, best friend to Queen Annika."

    "Shall I take care of them?" The Vitality Man, Clear, inquired calmly.

    "Rouhem? Inferno! Is it really you? What's going on?"

    Inferno thought she would faint with joy on when hearing the voice of her dearest companion. Annika. She didn't have the energy to raise her head, let alone shout her relief.

    She listened as Annika, followed closely by Soren—at least she assumed it was him—approached them.

    "Get the physician!" Soren barked at the men who were previously holding off Inferno and Rouhem. "Any healer you can find, get them here, now!"

    Rouhem took a step back as they got closer, growling deep in his throat. She felt the vibrations of it against her cheek and whimpered.

    "Inferno?!" Annika called out. "What's wrong with her, Rouhem?"

    "She's dying. I need your help!"

    Annika gasped and Inferno hated the fear that had swiftly entered her tone. "Dying? Is that why she left? Soren-"

    "Please!" Rouhem shouted, "There's no time for that. I need you to take back your power. It may stop what is happening to her."

    There was a beat of silence. "Okay, bring her in, we'll get her in a bed where it's more comfortable."

    Everyone began to run.

    "How much time do we have?" Soren asked, somewhere to the right, Annika on the opposite, hovering close to Inferno's head.

    "None."

    Inferno opened her mouth, releasing a scream, except her throat was already so sore that the sound was subdued, pathetic in a way.

    Rouhem and Inferno were laying in the bed. Once again, her top had been removed to expose her bare back.

    "I did this?" Annika asked meekly. Her voice made it obvious that she was failing miserably at withholding her tears.

    "Not really," Clear answered. "It's a matter of incompatibility. We must remove your power. Think of it as putting an end to the quarrel in her body by enacting permanent separation."