Chapter 45

Rouhem

    He watched her anxiously as she slept. It had been hours since Annika had successfully removed what Clear had referred to as her 'residue'.

    Inferno was quiet, but there remained a sweat on her brow. Yet at the same time, she was shivering. He was in the bed with her, never daring to leave her side. In that moment, it never became more obvious to him how much he wanted and needed her in his life. The thought of her being hurt further or even worse, it drove him to uncontrollable heights, the kind that would surely result in destruction and chaos.

    "Rouhem?"

    His heart leaped into action, as though waiting for her voice the entire time. He kissed her lips, because he just couldn't help himself. "I'm here." Rouhem always would be.

    "Annika...?" Of course she would always be worried for her best friend before herself, that is what got them in this mess.

    "She did it. It's out. How do you feel?" The fact that he was holding his breath said everything.

    She blinked once, then twice. His heart soon would burst. Instead of sitting up like he hoped she would, she laid her head back and closed her eyes. "I'm still... hurting."

    He clenched his teeth before sighing. "The fight's not over."

    She nodded, turning toward him at a painfully slow pace. Inferno nestled her head against him. "I'm just so tired, Rouhem," she breathed, her voice hitched. "I just want this to be over."

    "I know, Inferno," he said, hugging her closer. "I'm sorry I can't stop this right now. I would if I could, you know that."

    She lifted her arm and wrapped it around his waist, finally embracing him back. "You won't let me go, right?"

    "Never."

    "If I get out of this in one piece-"

    "When you get out of this," he corrected with a stern voice.

    "When," she corrected, "I get out of this in one piece..."

    "Yes, I will be your husband."

    He could tell she was smiling. "You haven't even been promoted to boyfriend."

    "I thought the morning sex was the promotion?"

    "Rouhem," she groaned, "shut up."

    "What, you don't want to marry me?"

    "Of course I do."

    They both were quiet for a moment. "Inferno?"

    "Yes, Rouhem?"

    "This seems like an awkward time, and I'm not sure if you've realized by now, but I really fucking love you. Like, I'm in love with you, you murderous, psychopathic pixie. I'm kind of obsessed with your crazy ass."

    She sprung away from him like her butt was on fire. Inferno stumbled onto the floor, hissing and moaning when her back hit the floor.

    Did he mention that she was as naked as the day she was born?

    But this clearly what not in the forefront of her mind. "Inferno!" He snapped, jumping out of the bed, "be careful!"

    She placed a hand onto his bicep to stop his progress. He looked into those crystal grey eyes and saw so many things. Inferno shook her head. Her lip had this little tremble to it. "Why would you say that?"