⁶⁴the artist - Clem. I.

clementine

"You should invest in a car," Mara tells me, her keyboard clacking on the background of our call. "You can't just go around through the subway anymore like you did in here,"

Wyatt says from afar, "Cabs cost way too fucking much too. Uber? No,"

I nod along, a hand tucked inside my pocket as I roll a piece of lint between my fingers. My eyes jump from car to car, eyeing their brand, their type, the colour, the wheels, and wondering what I'd want in a car. I'd never wanted a car before, but I'd guess I'd need it more nowadays.

I like walking. It helps me think. I like the mundane inconveniences that go with crossing the street, waiting patiently for the red light to turn green, and observing the people walking by me — with me, across me.

Though I need to wake up earlier than usual so I can have a head start, I like the long, unvaried routine of it. It's easy for me to follow and doesn't require anything else besides more time and good shoes; so far, the boots Mara had given are taking it well. It still needs some time for the soles to break, but with this much walking, it shouldn't be too far.

But I predict that when summer arrives, I might have to give in and get a cab. I'm not going to be walking in the heat, thank you.

The working week had technically ended, Saturday had come and Friday had gone, but I'm finding myself gathering my things and walking to the studios. Though, with no intent of working, I just need some art supplies and the morning exercise.

"What if I invest in a bike?" I suggest to the couple. I like bikes, more so than cars, and probably so because, A, I don't actually have a license to drive — and B, I only know the works of driving because of the driving games on my phone.

Mara gasps rather dramatically. "A bike? But — but you could have a car! A nice, shiny, new car! One with air conditioning, a proper seat, and no pedals. Why a bike?"

Wyatt laughs at her rambling.

I shrug. "Eco... friendly?"

She gasps in reply. "Don't tell me you like the walk,"

A pause follows as I hesitate to answer.

"God help you. Get a car," She snickers and I roll my eyes. "It'd be way convenient for you, you know. You can get places easier,"

On one hand, she's right. On the other, I have no plans to visit other places besides home, the studios, and the grocery that's just right across my block. I'm quite satisfied with staying within the borders of this triad of locations. "I don't need to be going to these 'places', Mara. Plus, morning exercise is good,"

I hear her grimacing at the word 'exercise'. "LA's changed you already," She whispers playfully. "The prophecies were telling the truth!"

Wyatt tsks, chuckling, before quietly asking her if she wants tea.

Grinning at Mara's playful outburst, I hop down the sidewalk as I see the studio building come to view. "Before you know it, I'll be running into Harry Styles or something at Trader Joe's,"

Mara gives a scattered giggle. "Forget saving people's lives, that's my life aspiration now,"

A silence settles as I focus more on getting through the gates of Ackerman, swiping my card and locking it back. The air's different around the building on the weekends. It doesn't quite buzz with the same life as it does on the working days. Perhaps what makes it so are the painters.

Instead, it's more vivid, though calmer, more birds chirping as they're hid in the trees, crickets croaking quietly in the bushes.

I stand across the lawn and eye the quiet greenery before heading towards it and dropping my bag on the grass.