¹¹lovesick

luke

Our stay in New York had gone a little longer than we had planned.

We originally planned on staying for a week, only to record the song we'd newly written and to meet up with the painter of our album cover. But right before that week ended, the boys insisted that we stay here a little longer since we'd written another song and that I also had another one in the making.

The night - or early morning, rather - that I walked Clementine to her studio, I quickly took a cab back to the studio, finishing up the song 'Best Years' inside.

My mind seemed to flow like an overflowing sink, words upon words about how I felt. It was completely irrational since who I felt those about I'd only known for a sole two weeks, but as I wrote them, all I knew was that, whether she did or didn't reciprocate the way I felt, she was worth it.

By the time I got back to the studio, which didn't even take too long, I had two pages filled with my untidy scrawls. I had a sound in mind, a main instrument, and I knew I wanted to sing it. In my mind, I was singing it for her even though she wouldn't know it was for her. All she'll know is that it's a mediocre song about a crush and my sudden hopeless devotion to her. My heart can be silly like that.

We ended up recording the song on Friday, finishing it up at the very end of the day. Ashton and Michael wouldn't stop gushing to me about how this would be my first self-written song in any of our albums, saying how I'd caught the love bug on the painter.

By Saturday, I wanted to go back in the studio to continue writing 'Lover of Mine', but Matthew, our producer, suggested we take a well-deserved break and attend the September carnival that was hosted in Central Park.

All I could think of doing was writing and singing and having the finished product in my hand, but I knew I'd tire the band of it sooner or later. So, reluctantly, I agreed for a two-day break from our sessions to go to the carnival.

Right now, all I feel is thankful that I said yes to that as I see Clementine walking arm in arm with another girl, eyes darting to the sights around her, a wide smile in her face.

My heart jumps to my throat and I abruptly stand up from the bench I was sitting at, startling Michael and Calum who are sitting beside me, munching on something they bought from one of the food stands.

"Jesus -" Michael exclaims, putting a hand over his chest in shock at my sudden reaction.

I swallow the lump in my throat and sit back down, eyes following the two girls like some stalker. "Guys, guys - it's her!" I whisper yelled at them, watching as Clementine and her friend walked nearer and nearer us - or rather to a food stand selling cotton candy of various colours. Really, it's just diabetes in cloud form.

"So specific, Luke," Michael muttered.

I roll my eyes at him, nudging my head to where Clementine stood. "There. Cotton candy stand."

"There are literally hundreds of them around," He deadpanned and I nudged my head a little more aggressively.

Ashton returns to our bench with two hotdogs in hand, joining in the conversation just in time. "Is that Clementine?" He asks, squinting at her from so far.

I quickly sush him, panicking at their obliviousness. "She'll hear you!"

Ashton snorts and hands me one of the hotdogs. "What - from fifty feet away?" He chomps on his own and looks amusedly between Clementine and I.

Michael chortles at Ashton's comeback. "I love how your immediate reaction to seeing her is to abandon all calm and panic," He shakes his head and laughs, sipping on a blue slushy he bought. "You are so whipped, bro,"